Chapter 13

Hux woke to a steady clicking, sitting up in his chair and grunting at the sharp crick in his neck. He grimaced, rolling his head and rubbing the knot with the tips of his fingers, before he finally registered that the clicking was rhythmic and coming from his radio. He paused, blood draining from his face, and swallowed thickly. He glanced at Ben and Blue, huddled up together in the corner and still fast asleep, before reaching to press down on his radio's call button three times - I hear you, on my way. As quietly as he could, he got to his feet, strapped his shotgun to his back, and left the office.

After getting a safe distance away, he brought the radio to his mouth. "I'm here."

"Turn left."

Snoke's voice was hard, icy, and Atlas' gut twisted so sharply he was nearly sick. Instead of responding, he did as he was told, turning left down the hall and walking at a stiff march.

"Right."

Hux turned, again, clenching and unclenching his free fist as his palms and fingertips tingled. Snoke led him down the winding halls of Hephaestus until he reached the door to an unlabeled room and paused outside. He knocked twice, and the door swung outward. A thick hand reached out to wrap around his wrist and drag him inside. He stumbled over the threshold, gasping as his arm was twisted a bit painfully. The door slammed shut again.

"How fuckin' stupid are you?"

Snoke seemed to melt into existence, stepping out from the shadows with his dark, beady eyes flashing and his suit perfectly clean and unwrinkled. His face was not so pleasant to the eyes, pink and scrunched up with a rage that he was barely suppressing. Hux felt cold all over, taking a step back as Snoke advanced on him.

"I gave you one job," he continued, his voice low.

"One very simple job. Bring the kid to Ryan. Say the stupid phrase. Then bring him back to me. That was all you had to do... and you could not even manage that one simple task, Hux."

"I got him here, didn't I?" Hux retorted, trying to hide how his voice wanted to shake. "Not my fault if the door's locked, we're -"

"Do you think I am an idiot, Hux?"

"I...no."

"No? Because it seems like you do."

Hux shook his head, cold sweat beading on his hairline. "No."

"Then stop bullshitting me!" Snoke snapped, volume rising. "You're in too deep. I told you not to get attached and what do you do? You play house with him and that gatherer. Fuckin' useless."

Hux swallowed thickly. "I don't-"

"Save it. You're lucky I don't take you off this job and do it myself," Snoke spat. "I am giving you one more chance. One," he reiterated, lifting a thick finger in Hux's face. "You get the kid into Ryan's office. Ryan dies. And you bring the girl to me."

"The girl? What do you want with her?"

"That ain't your concern, especially not now," he drawled. "You just do what the fuck you're told and I'll think about not putting a bullet in your head after this is done. You be real good, and I'll even let you keep the kid after I've got him reset."