Chapter I - Big Brother

Mattholomule POV

This feels so weird. Are we friends?  Do I want to be friends with him? 

Mattholomule brooded over his new acquaintance as a contrary smile spread across his face.

"Squirt."
"Jerk."

Mattholomule and Augustus retorted to each other's name-calling, playfully shoving each other as they laughed. 

He should hate me. It doesn't matter what happened today; I treated him like dirt.

"...Haha...I..." Augustus trailed off. "...Thanks again, Matt." 
The two of them, walking home from the Looking Glass Graveyard, stopped in front of Gus' house amid their teasing.

"Yeah. No problem, Gus." Matt answered in a curt tone.

"...So, I guess I'll see you at school?" Gus gave a small, sheepish grin.

"Uh-huh." Matt tried to return the smile and nodded slightly.

His smile dropped instantly upon closing the door behind him. He let out a long, weary sigh...

And looked up to see his half-brother, Steve, waiting with open arms.

Matt immediately brightened. "Steve!" He rushed to his brother, who locked him in a secure hug.

"Hey, hey, Mattster!" 
"I thought your day off wasn't for a few more weeks?" Matt looked up at Steve with the awestruck eyes of a younger brother.