|| CHAPTER 1 ||

🔹
🔹
🔹
🔹
🔹

[GOLDLAKE HIGH SCHOOL; GOLD AVENUE]

... Monday, 24th of April, 2023

     I adjusted my tie as the car circled the neon-lit fountain that served as a roundabout. A beautifully carved headstone in the shape of the school's badge stood proudly at the centre with artificial toffee roses adorning it's foundation.

     First day of my last term in senior year and I couldn't be any more happier. Holiday at home was agonizing because as always I didn't give my parents what they wanted and believe me when I said they reminded me with every chance they got.

     Power, awards, honours, accolades, wealth, possessions and prestige was all they valued. They needed me to be the best version of myself, of the family,  as the only female child but I wasn't living up to their expectations.

     It seemed like everything I planned on doing had already been accomplished by someone else or there was just someone out there to beat me. For instance, I was pretty good at playing tennis but Chloe, a classmate of mine, was even better; Always going home with all the medals. To me my grades were okay but they wanted more and that "more" was Sarah's thing, she was the bookworm of senior year.

     All I wanted was to get up to their standards and that was exactly what I would do this term. I had to bring an achievement from high school because I was seriously lacking behind. After all, my two older brothers started their collections right from kindergarten. Dad had a huge construction company, Mum controlled the largest textile shop in the country, My oldest brother was a Nobel laureate surgeon and the second was a huge deal in the entertainment industry. It was left for me to live up to a reputation and this was my time to make them proud.

     The car came to a stop at the parking lot and I rushed to the booth to take out my suitcase. " I'll take that, miss. Elmer." My driver objected and I stepped aside to concentrate on other students as they were dropped off.

     Suddenly a figure caught my attention from a window on the east side of the building, that was the library. Someone was gawking at me and I tried to see who it was but it was hard to make any recognition. I sighed and looked away, it was no big deal. Goldlake High had hundreds of students.

     "I'll take it from here." I stepped in front of my suitcase.

     "I go with orders from Mrs. Elmer." He insisted as he faced the perron in doubt like I couldn't carry my suitcase up.

     "It's fine. Thank you, I can help myself the rest of the way." I stared as he hesitantly let go of the handle with a smile. I nodded and watched him walk back to the car, soon it drove away and I stood awkwardly with my suitcase. Now that I've come to think of it coming back to school wasn't the most happiest thing on earth. I didn't even have any ideas on how to get my breakthrough.

     "Gabriella!...Gabriella!!" A deep voice hit my ear. I spun around and moved aside just in time before Mark crashed into me. He stumbled and halted some feet away from me with  heavy breathing.

     "Geez! Mark! What are you doing?" I dramatically held my hand over my chest.

     "I thought you were dead. You didn't reply any of my texts or pick up my calls. What were you thinking putting me through voicemail?" He walked up to me with creased eyebrows.

     "Well, my parents took my phone away from me the second I stepped into the house and then I was compelled into taking 18 online classes so it wasn't my fault." I put my hands up.

     "I thought you were dead!" He pulled me into an unexpected embrace.

     "O...Kay." I pulled away. "I'm here and very alive." I assured him and shook my head. He could get really concerned at times, especially after Raymond...