001. the one

Belly

As Jeremiah and I pulled into Russell's Gas and Groceries to get icees before heading to the summer house, I wondered how this summer would be different. Overall, I just hoped Conrad wouldn't act weird like he did after he saw Jere and I kiss after his exam last year. 

Even though Susannah wasn't here anymore, I knew it would be the best summer yet. It would be like old times, just without her, but everything would instantly feel better walking into the house with everything back inside it. 

The boys and I would be there, and Steven was bringing Taylor for the entire summer. Having my best friend there would be amazing.

Steven and Tay have been dating since last summer, and they've had their ups and downs. I almost always sided with Taylor because Steven had been a dick to her in the past. 

It's kind of strange to think about it now. I never thought she'd be dating my brother in college... or at all, really. I also thought I'd be dating Conrad when I was older. Thank god that's no longer an issue.

"Hey Bells, do you wanna stay in the car or go in with me?" Jere asked with the cutest smile. His crystal blue eyes always lit up when he said my name like that. "No, I'm definitely coming in," I said. "I haven't eaten much, and besides, I want to get my icee just the way we like it."

Conrad

I came in from surfing when I knew it was time Jere and Belly were coming. Jere came in first, and then she walked in. I hadn't seen her in almost a whole fucking year. When Laure told me that Belly and Jere had the best night at prom, I fell apart. I could've been there for her last year, and I wasn't. 

My heart felt like it was being ripped into shreds in the slowest way possible. She was the only girl I would ever love for an infinite amount of years. 

Her hair was cut shorter, she had a more mature look in her eye, and then I noticed the bandage on her ankle. Same old Belly. 

"Hey, Con, did you get anything good from the store?" Jere asked as we quickly hugged and pulled away. I shrugged. "I got the same stuff Mom used to get." 

I then stole a quick glance at Belly and told her, "I didn't get any pop-tarts though. You'll have to buy them on your own." She shrugged. "That's okay. Steven's bringing some stuff, and I'm sure Taylor is too."

I nodded and looked back at Jere. "Well, everything's back where it used to be. I'm gonna go shower, and I'll make dinner for us tonight."

"Whoa, Connie, when'd you learn to cook?!" Jere asked with bright eyes and a cocky laugh. I rolled my eyes. "I've always known how to cook, Jere. I'll see you guys later."

Jeremiah

The look Conrad gave Belly as soon as she walked in the door told me everything I needed to know. He was finally goddamn over her. I was sure of it. It didn't matter anymore. It was how everything was meant to be.

Besides, I'm the one she picked in the end. Not Conrad. I didn't have any deep hatred for him anymore. I didn't have a reason to.

Bells and I went swimming in the ocean almost as soon as he went to shower, and it was by far the best I'd ever had. When we came inside, Connie was already almost finished cooking dinner.

"Really?" He asked me and Belly with his mouth hanging wide open. "You're just going to come in here soaking wet? Go back outside, guys. I'll get you when the food's done."

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "Come on, Connie. You're almost done. It'd be stupid to make us go back outside."

With a sigh, he reluctantly said, "Fine, but you two are mopping the floors as soon as you're done eating. Got it?"

"You don't have to tell us twice," Belly said with a firm nod. I looked over at her and could tell she was starving. She hadn't gotten anything at the gas station to eat, and that worried me.

"So," Conrad began to ask, "Steven told me Taylor's staying all summer," he said with a smirk. "How do you guys feel about that?"

"What do you mean? They've been dating for almost a year," said Belly. Conrad nodded as he stirred the food in the pan. "I know. It'll just be different. They'll probably share a bed, you know."

I rolled my eyes. "It's not that big of a deal, Conrad. They've been dating for a long time, and it's a normal thing."

Conrad

I narrowed my eyes when Jere said that. Steven had been dating Taylor for basically as long as Belly and Jere had been dating. Were they sleeping together too?

God, just the thought made me feel sick to my stomach. I always wondered if Belly's ever told Jere about me and her in December a year and a half ago. I think he would be mad, but it's out of his control. I know he would hate me. Would he be pissed at Belly for it too?

Belly 

"Yeah," I added when Conrad didn't say anything back, "I mean, it's not like it's unhealthy. They both love each other." Jere and I smiled at each other and he squeezed my hand as we walked over to the kitchen table. 

"They should really be careful," Conrad commented quietly. "No one knows what's going to happen after this summer."

I frowned. "Are you saying you think Steven and Taylor will break up? They're in love, Conrad! Don't manifest bad things to happen with them."

Conrad shook his head before saying, "I wasn't talking about Steven and Taylor, Belly." 

I thought he was about to say something else, but then Jere said, "So, what are we having for dinner, Connie?"

Conrad turned around with a smile and his girly oven mitts on. "Beef Taco Pasta." Jere groaned. "Oh, come on. Mom always made that for Dad when he was being a jackass."

I giggled. When Jere and I finally started talking more about Susannah after she'd passed, he started opening up more about the way things were with his dad.

 Adam Fisher was notoriously the biggest jackass, aside from the fact that he'd bought the Cousins house from Julia the summer before. Although, if my mom hadn't come to Cousins and teamed up with Julia, he would've never done it.

"Is it really as bad as Jere makes it sound?" I asked Conrad with a giggly smile.

He shook his head. "No. It's not. Jere just likes to over-exaggerate things like Dad." I rolled my eyes. Of course, Conrad just had to bring the conversation to a lower point. "Don't compare him to your dad, Conrad. Your dad is horrible."

"No he's not!" Jere exclaimed. "Bells, he literally saved the house. Without him, we wouldn't even be here." He glared at Conrad. "We owe everything to him."

Jeremiah

I couldn't believe Connie had just said that about Dad. When we saw him on breaks last year, he'd acted completely normal about Dad.

"Are you serious?" Conrad asked with voice fluctuation. "We owe everything to Mom, Jere. This place wouldn't even exist without her. We wouldn't exist without her."

I shook my head. I loved my Mom, and I hated that she was gone. She had been my rock, but Conrad was wrong. She always said that he and Belly were meant for each other. She didn't even realize that I was in love with Belly. She wasn't right about everything.

Belly sighed and said, "Maybe we should just go ahead and eat." I glanced over at her with a frown. She couldn't seriously be defending Conrad over this, could she?