✽.✫☽ 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟹𝟹 ☾✫.✽

(Unedited)
Word count: 3976
{Listen while you read?~I recommend I Never Cared For You by Willie Nelson}

☽✫.✽✦✽.»»——⍟——««.✽✦✽.✫☾

It wasn't long before the two found themselves back into the office of the professor, the main area was empty and more bare than usual. Sharing a confused look they made their way upstairs to the living area of the house and knocked on a door that had a lot of movement coming from inside.

"Professor." Johns gritty voice called loud enough through the door.

"Open up." Dixie added

The door open slowly and just enough for one dilated eye to peek out and a breath of relief followed.

"Oh, it's you, dears. Come in. Come in. And shut the door." The professor said opening the door for them, and they listened closing it after them.

"What's going on? You leaving?" John asked with a hint of relief.

"Yes, sir. Yes I am, sir. You know, you know the thing, the thing that is vital without which scholarship cannot proceed, sir?" McDougal asked as he hastily packed a bag.

"No, I don't." John answered his head tracking the man that paced back and forward with various of items stuffing them in his bags.

"Not having a bullet in your flipping neck, sir. I'm not cut out for this. No, not cut out for this at all." He told them both scared and inflamed.

Both Dixie and John laughed while the man agreed with him, "Nope."

"They're fucking savages! Savages!" The professed exclaimed.

"I think we all are." Dixie told the man as she picked up a few cents off the table she stood near and slipped them into her pocket, next she picked up a small glass ball that was a paperweight and held it up to the light inspecting the small gem enclosed inside.

"Not me, madam. I'm from Connecticut. I'm a professor at Yale! I write books! I do not deserve to die out here!" The professor yelled before he started scratching his arm and looking around frantically, "Where's my tincture? Oh yes."

He quick walked over to the full syringe on a table next to a chair that he sat in while before injecting his tincture into his blown out vain and badly bruised arm, John turn to look at his partner just as she took her hand out of her satchel the glass paperweight now missing.

"You okay, Professor?" She asked stepping closer to the crazyed man standing near the window

"Dandy, madam. Just dandy." He answered when suddenly both Dixie and the windows glass fell in sync, the professor screamed in shock as he tossed the now empty syringe into the air in surprise as Dixie's hat was shuffled to the side by johns approaching boots.

"Oh heavens above!" He yelled curling into himself in the chair as John drew his revolver and got low moving towards the unconscious woman.

"Dixie." He said rolling her over and inspected the open wound darkening her already midnight hair, the white strand he's come accustomed to seeing being tied into a braid was free and now staining red.

"Is that you, John?" A voice from down below yelled up the scarred man rolled his eyes as he grab a discarded towel from nearby making sure it was clean and held it to the woman's head the other holding his trusted revolver.