Three Years Later

Hi friends—I am completely and utterly in love at the moment ... in my simp era, if you will. Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm just going to go with the flow and push out some updates when ideas come to my brain—whether that be quite often or even months. Thanks for sticking around. I also just want to say WOW!!!! Almost 800 followers on here... last year at this time I had roughly around 300, so I am sooooo appreciative of all the continued support even with me not writing as much. Thank you so much, everyone!

Story note* This is a sequel to Falling in the Cape. Soooo if you want to kind of understand the concept, why not go and take a read of that story first! Takes place six years after the summer from that story... have fun with this one hehe

ALSO—I'll be updating the story cover. That's just a filler for now.
...

Oak Bluffs—it had been years since Emily spent some time at her family cottage on Martha's Vineyard. The last time she had visited was three years prior, and there was a reason for that. Emily up and left her life in Boston after she received a job offer of a lifetime in Switzerland that she couldn't decline. This decision, though, changed her life as she knew it completely.

When she received the job offer with an extensive benefits package, she was absolutely thrilled. She was getting sick of Boston after living there for so long and honestly, she had gotten sick of her job after management changed. She thought a change of scenery and a change of pace would help if she decided to accept the job.

When Sue got home that evening from work, Emily was ecstatic to tell her the good news.

Flashback

"Babe!" Emily shouted excitedly, running up to her girlfriend before embracing her. "They sent me an offer!" Right then, Emily felt Sue's body tense a bit and she could sense the change immediately. "What's wrong?" She asked, hesitantly pulling back to look at her face.

Sue sighed, "N—nothing. I'm happy for you, my love."

"You don't sound very convincing." Emily teased, though there was a feeling inside her that was making her tummy sink. "What's going on?"

"Emily, I—um," Sue stammered, her tone clearly upset. "I don't think I'm ready to move and this is such an amazing opportunity for you, it would just be selfish of me to hold you back here if you don't want to stay."

Emily was right... that sinking feeling in her stomach was in full force now. She and Sue had talked about this opportunity and the plan was for Sue to go with her if Emily got it. She couldn't grasp her sudden change of heart.

"D—don't you want to be with me, Susie?" Emily asked softly, grabbing Sue's hand.

Sue squeezed her hand, "Of course, I do, Emily. If I didn't want to be with you, we wouldn't have been together these past three years."

"Then why don't you want to come with me now?" Emily asked, her voice a little shaky.

"Baby, listen to me." She said, grabbing Emily's waist now. "I love you—I truly do. You are the love of my life. I just... I know I'm going to feel homesick and I don't even have a job lined up and who knows if I'll even be approved for the visa... I mean, we're not married... it's not like I can travel on your work visa."

"Yeah, but we were going to work our way around that." Emily countered, her voice getting more upset.

"I know, I know." Sue said, putting her hand up to Emily's cheek. She thumbed away a tear rolling down her face and frowned, "I, just... I can't leave right now."