On the Porch

Hello, my friends! Thank you so much for all of the awesome feedback on chapter one—I'm so happy y'all like it thus far. We're just beginning, so get ready for some angst, sneaking about, and idk... maybe some smut, what to y'all think? ;) Ha!

...

A week had gone by and Emily and Sue did everything in their power to avoid seeing each other, but it was only a matter of time until that dodging streak broke. Emily would catch herself glancing out the window to see whether or not Sue goes out or her car is gone. She hated to admit it, but seeing Sue with Rowan stung. The break up, even years later, stung.

Emily never wanted to break up. If she had it her way, Sue would have went to Switzerland with her and they would still be together. And again, she hated to admit it—she was still heartbroken. She felt bad that she was feeling this way right now because Miriam is here with her and she had a plan to propose to her at some point. She was feeling an array of emotions and a part of her hoped she would just be able to avoid her the entire summer, but her hopes were crushed.

Emily was sitting on the porch, sipping on her hot coffee. It was a cooler morning on the Vineyard, but she never minded that. She was cozied up in a sweatshirt and her sweats while she ate a bowl of oatmeal along with her coffee—listening to music play on her phone at a low volume.

Kingston by Faye Webster

She took another sip as her head swayed to the music, closing her eyes as she took in the summer air and hummed along with the song. It was a quiet morning in the house and in the neighborhood. Miriam, Vinnie and their mom headed out for the morning to spend some time together. Mrs. Dickinson and Vinnie wanted that one-on-one time with Emily's new lovely lady.

'I think that tonight I'll leave my light on. 'Cause I get lonely when it's out and I miss you right about now.'

"Hi, Emily." A voice said, knocking Emily from her relaxation.

She jumped and opened her eyes, her heart beating what felt like out of her chest.

"God." Emily breathed out, blinking slowly, "S—Sue. Hi."

Sue chuckled, putting her coffee mug down on the small table Emily was sitting at, "Mind if I join you?

Emily swallowed and shook her head nervously, "P—please. Sit."

She smiled and took the seat across from Emily, cupping her hands around her warm mug as she stared sheepishly at the liquid in her cup. Emily watched Sue's mannerisms as the music continued to play—helping lighten the silence between them two in that moment.

'He said baby—that's what he called me. I love you. Every single word you say makes me feel some type of way. It's the thought of you that slightly scares me.'

"How've you been, Emily?" Sue asked, finally looking up from her cup. She looked at her old love seriously as she adjusted in her seat, "H—how's Switzerland treating you?"

They were both stuttering on their words—both finding it hard to speak to each other... finding it hard to be alone together. Hell, this was the first time the two of them were alone in years but now the dynamic between them was so different.

Emily nodded, smiling slightly, "It's good. It's been nice, really. I—I have to say—I do get home sick a lot."

Sue gave her a small smile, "Yeah?" She said softly, raising an eyebrow as she sipped from her mug, "Missing people?"

Emily nodded, running her hand through her hair nervously, "Yeah, you could say that."

Sue chuckled again, shaking her head, "Well, if you didn't move away from home, you would have never met Miriam—right?"