Becoming: Part 1

"Shitake mushrooms, Mary is going to kill me." Claire cursed.

The day before Claire agreed to help Mary with a project for English before school. Claire woke up a little earlier than normal and got ready, but when she came downstairs to tell her dad she was ready to go like every morning she found a note. The note was from her dad saying that he was taking Enrique to a doctor's appointment. Since her mom is always at the office early in the morning that meant that she couldn't get a ride to school. This means that she had to ride her bike to school, which means that she's going to be late to help Mary, which means that Mary Wang is going to kill Claire Nunez.

Claire for this reasoning was biking as fast as she could. As Claire was riding over the bridge though she saw a large pile of rocks under it. 

"What in the world?" Claire thought out loud while stopping her bike. 

She glanced at the time on her phone then decided that she'd only be a minute.

Getting underneath the bridge and examining the rock she noticed it looked like it was some sort of statue and it fell off the bridge. 

Wonder who let a statue fall off a bridge. Claire thought while she dug through the broken pieces of stone.

"Claire Nunez." A voice broke the silence.

"Hello?" Claire called as she turned her head to scan the area. To find no one.

"Claire Nunez." The voice called again.

This time Claire saw a bright blue light coming from the pile of stone. She dug into the stone a bit more to find the source of the light was an amulet of sorts. There were little gears and cogs that you could see turning slowly while the amulet's lights started to brighten up more. As Claire was about to read the wording on the edge of the amulet an alarm went off on her phone letting her know that she was 100% going to be killed for being late with Mary since that alarm was the alarm telling her she was already five minutes late since she hit snooze on the alarm already.

Claire then threw the amulet in her bag before starting to bike out of the canal and to the school again. 

Upon arrival Claire Nunez was met with a stressing Mary Wang sitting at a table in front of the school alternating between typing furiously on her computer and looking at her watch.

"Mary, I'm so sorry. I swear I tried to get here as quick as I could, my dad took my brother to a doctor's appointment so I had to bike here." Claire rambled while sitting down next to Mary.

"Whatever, you're here now. So, please I'm begging you right now help me C-bomb." Mary said while bringing her hands in a begging gesture.

"Alright, what have we got?" Claire asked while turning the computer to a better angle for her to see it.

Half an hour later after a few mental Mary meltdowns, Claire cursing without using actual swear words practically every sentence, and a relocation to Mr.Strickler's class room (their first period class) Mary's English project was finished. Darci was also now with them which meant she could tell the two about the pile of rocks and the amulet.

"Hey guys-"

Riiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnngggggggg!

"Yeah, Claire?" Darci questioned.

"Nevermind, I'll tell you later." Claire sighed while opening her computer and logging in.

It didn't take long for Strickler to start droning on about Peloponnesian War.

 "...actually three wars fought between Athens and Sparta. The first war is known as the Archimidian war..."

As the class went on Claire found that she couldn't pay attention. She kept zoning out and thinking about the amulet that apparently speaks and shines a bright blue.