Prologue

"Katya please, don't say any offensive nor sensitive words to other people, because you might hurt their feelings.. Just like what you did to Alaric earlier, that's not so nice of you, Sweetie. You should apologize, okay?"

"Yes, Mama. I'm sorry, I will not do it again." I looked down with a teary eyes.

"Oh Katya, don't cry. Mama's not mad at you, okay? I'm just telling you that what you did earlier is wrong and you should be sorry of what you have said to Alaric. Now go to him, he might still feeling sad. "

I just nodded and wiped my tears away before heading out of the chapel.

I feel so guilty.

Lumabas ako ng simbahan at dumiretso sa likurang bahagi kung nasaan ang playground. I know that he's here.

At hindi nga ako nagkamali.

A lonely 13 year old boy welcome my sight, his shoulder were shaking, indicating that he's been crying, hard.

My heart felt like it was stabbed multiple times.

You did so wrong, Katya.

I don't know what to do. Should I go to him and apologize? But, what if he shove me away? What if he won't accept my apology? What if--

"K-kailani?"

Napatigil ako sa pag-iisip at agad na napalingon sa direksyon kung saan nanggaling ang boses.

"Alaric."

Despite of his teary eyes, red nose, and flushed cheeks, he still manage to smile at me.

Did he just smiled at me?

"Come here.. " he said and patted the cemented chair that he had been sitting on.

I slowly walk towards him, feeling all the guilt inside of me.

"I-im so sorry for what I've said earlier, Alaric. I didn't mean it. I'm really really sorry, please forgive me. " my tears started to fell down on my cheeks.

"I know. I know that you didn't meant it. It was your friends, right? They're the one who told you to say those words to me. It hurts, but no matter how much I want to forget all about it, every thing that you have said earlier is true. It's true that my parents were separated, it's true that my mother cheated on my father, it's true that my Dad committed suicide, it's true that--"

I didn't let him finish his sentence and hug him tight as if it will take all his pain away, as if it will make him feel better.

I don't know If I can handle those things, I don't think I can handle the kind of situation he has.

He's still a child.

I felt his warm hand wrapped around my waist, trying to find for a support, trying to find someone who could lean on.

"I'm sorry for everything that causes you pain, Alaric. I'm sorry for what have happened to you and your family. Don't worry, from now on, you can lean on me, I could be your best friend or your sister. "

"I-i don't want you to be my sister, Kailani" the only thing that he said.

I just laughed at him and patted his back.

Is this the kid who have I told that he doesn't have a 'family'?

Despite of having no family beside him, he is still a great person with a wonderful being, a big and genuine heart for everyone, and a child of Jesus Christ who didn't lose his trust on Him even after what happened to his family.

Starting from this day, I, Kailani Katya, will do anything, everything to make Alaric Adamir feel like he isn't the only one to fight in this battle. I ought to myself that I am willing to make him feel that he has a friend, a family, and home in me. I will protect you and care for you with the help of our Lord, Alaric.

----

✿✿