Chapter 22

I think my question sort of caught Seth off guard.

When I asked, he sorta looked at me and then he looked away and stared off in the distance.

I think it was because he didn't know what it was like to have a friend. And that's why he was angry with everyone. And why he was acting the way he was. Sure he had taken it to extreme levels...and sure he had tried to take my life...and sure he had hurt me physically. But...I still felt like I needed to forgive him. I needed him to know that...he wasn't forgotten. And he still had family in the world. I could be that one person who cared. I could make a difference in his life. I could show him that he didn't need to be such a terrible persn to be noticed. All he needed was little love.

And to think that I had a brother...I had always wanted a sibling. If only Seth agreed to stop fighting and to just...let life go back to normal, then...then we could start over. We could be like normal siblings. And live normal lives.

Seth still didn't say anything. So I started talking again. "Look," I sighed. "I just-I just want to live a normal life. And I know you do too. And look at us right now. You're strapped down to a chair, I'm trying to protect my life, and the entire city is an absolute disaster. If you just agree to-to try and live a normal life, I will try my very best to be that family member who actually cares about you. The one you've always wanted. You're not going to get anywhere trying to kill people. It's just not the way to go. Can we just please stop all this and just live normal lives as normal siblings?"

Seth looked up at me. "You mean... you want to forgive me?"

"Yes. That's what I'm trying to say."

"But...I tried to KILL you. You should have already killed me by now, because of the way I treated you. Are you seriously saying that you're just going to put all that behind you and just forgive me?"

"Yes. And even though you tried to kill me, I would never feel right if I had killed you. I just want to give you a second chance. I want you to realize that not everyone in the world is heartless."

And I think Seth did realize that. Because of the fact that I was staying calm with him, and I didn't kill him right off the bat, and I was giving him a second chance, I think he realized that he was wrong.

But of course he still had pride.

So I started talking again. "And I know you still have pride and just changing everything all of sudden is going to mess with your pride. But...unless you want to end up in jail, this is the only way to go."

"Wait." Riley whisper in my ear a little too loud. "You mean you're not going to call the police on him?"

"No." I said back.

Riley sighed. "Excuse me, but I need to talk to Aniyah privately. We'll be back shortly."

Riley pulled me out into the hall. "What the heck are you doing?!" She asked me. "Don't you realize what he's done? And you're just going to let him go just like that? How do you know you can trust him? You let him out of that chair, and he'll most likely turn on you."

"It's a possibility...but I'm going to trust him. After giving him a second chance, I doubt that he would try killing me. He may have pride, but he also has guilt."

"And what about the police? There are like a ton of police cars out there!"

"I know. But I think since this building is sort of hidden, we could get out the back and go around the edge of town. We'll be safe."

"But there are witnesses out there!"

"I really doubt that the police are going to believe that two people were having a near fatal fight using fire and ice powers."

"I guess you're right..."

"Of course I am. Am I ever wrong?" Then recalling all the failed plans I had had, I stopped her before she could answer. "Don't answer that."

We went back into the room.

I looked at Seth and it looked like he had had a lo of time to ponder over my offer.

He looked up at me. "So what if I take your offer. If I agree to stop fighting....what then? What am I supposed to...say? I mean, I-I sorta agree with you. I think living a normal life would be nice. But after all that I did to you...I don't think 'I'm sorry' will be enough."

I smiled a little. "I'll take 'I'm sorry' just fine."