𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

"We might be stained with the scent of Birmingham, but we will find what we need to wash anew."

•*•

•*•

The Epsom Derby Races
1921

The past follows you wherever you go. An object you happen to see when walking the streets could strike a memory from your childhood. Reminding you of the good times or the bad. It can be as simple as a name being shouted at a pub and it triggers a recalling of a person you used to know a few years back who you aren't in touch with any longer. No matter how hard you try to push those locked memories away, it still lingers in the back of your mind with dread.

As they say, the past always comes crawling.

The experience of former times were no strangers to Leticia Morelli. In fact, she welcomed in the past for it had taught her of what not to do in the future. Lettie had learned from her past actions and the outcomes that came of it. And a big key she had taken from her experiences was to never be closed minded as it could open up a door to a new perspective.

And as Derby Day had finally arrived, she couldn't help but to be pulled back to two years ago. The day in which she felt her lowest. Black Star Day.

Everything leading up to Epsom had almost perfectly been designed out in the same way Black Star Day had. All the planning, the rounding up of men, the last minute confessions...the goodbyes, and the list goes on. Except, Lettie wasn't preparing to lose anyone this time around.

Plans had changed in less than twelve hours. Leticia had made the conscious decision to not go to London but instead to stay back in Birmingham. With the thought of Polly on her mind, she couldn't stand to leave the woman at her most vulnerable. Though the Gray woman could hold her own (Lettie held no uncertainties there), even the strongest could use a shoulder to lean on. And Lettie planned to be that shoulder for how ever long Polly needed her.

Which is why on this particular morning, Polly found herself with Leticia's company. The Morelli woman had stayed the night at the new, spacious Gray residence for the two women had planned to get ready and head to the races together. In the sitting room, the Gray woman had just finished loading up a basket for the lengthy endeavor to the races. Lettie, who carried a tray with a kettle and cups, passed the threshold into the room heading over to the desk Polly sat behind. Placing the tray on the wooden surface, Lettie gave a sly glance to the occupied woman before making a spare cup of tea. A moment of silence took place before Polly voiced indifferently, "Michael's already at the betting shop. He's barely said a word to me."

Setting the warm cup in front of the older woman, Lettie began making her own for the morning, "Boys at this age, once they can call themselves an adult they want to start making their own decisions. He wants to handle his own battles," looking up from her diligent hands, Lettie met Polly's eyes, "This is not your fault, Polly."