-1-

"I can't believe I let you talk me into coming out with you. I never learn!"

"I didn't lie, Kat!"

"Luce, you told me you wanted to get a drink, just you and me."

"It is just you and me."

"And half of New York City!"

"Don't exaggerate."

"I'm not, Lu-"

"Come on. It's high time you loosen up and have some fun."

Katherine Johnson rolled her eyes at Lucy Beckett as she watched Lu shamelessly flirt with a sweaty, gyrating stranger on the dance floor. This was not Kat's idea of a fun time, and it was definitely not her idea of drinks "just you and me" with her childhood best friend. Since the blip, they'd been trying - with little success - to rekindle their close relationship. It had left an indelible mark on everyone, changing both of the girls in drastic ways, and they couldn't seem to get on the same page anymore.

"Let's dance!" Lucy pulled Kat toward the dance floor before Kat could register what was happening. Kat flinched as warm bodies pressed around her. She stayed as close as she could to Lucy, watching in horror as her friend ground onto the sweaty stranger. She tried to make the best of it for Lu's sake, she really did, but after a few minutes of people bumping into her and hands grasping at her, she couldn't take it anymore. She had to get out of there.

"Lu! I need to pee!" She shouted over the music.

"So go!"

"Alone?! Come with me!"

Lucy just shook her head and turned her attention to the man behind her.

Kat sighed. "I'll be at the bar!"

Kat turned, leaving the dance floor and the discomfort of people touching her, intentionally or not. She glanced down in her clutch and had just pulled out her phone when someone slammed into her shoulder, sending her phone flying from her hand. Before her phone could hit the floor, a gloved had caught it mid air, dropping it back into her hand. She glanced at the face belonging to the wall of muscle that had hit her - chiseled jaw, dark hair, piercing blue eyes. He didn't even glance at her, walking away without so much as an apology for bumping into her.

"Asshole," she muttered as she returned her phone to her clutch and continued in the direction of the bathroom.

Bucky Barnes heard her, though, and grimaced. Sam had told him he needed to work on being more friendly, social. After so many years alone, he wasn't used to interacting with, well, anyone, and he had to get some practice. It was one of the reasons Sam had made him come out tonight.

Bucky clapped Sam on the back as he took the seat beside him at the bar.

Sam turned, a smile on his face. "Hey, man. Good to see you."

"You know I hate these places, Sam."

"Bars?"

"Clubs, or whatever this is." He gestured toward the dance floor filled with writhing bodies. "What are they even doing?"

"They're dancing!" Bucky looked at him skeptically, and Sam laughed as he flagged down the bartender. "A beer for my friend please."