Chapter 13: Broken

"You work here?" I repeat after him, at a loss. Why didn't Zeke or Ty mention that? Did they purposely overlook the small fact in hopes the two of us can learn to get along again?

"That's what I said." He answers in a sharp tone, not bothering to hide his irritation.

"Jeez. I was just confirming that I heard right. Relax. No need to be so uptight all the time." I breathe out quietly, frustrated that Chase and I somehow always land up right back where we started: together.

I can't help but wonder if Chase knew beforehand about this. He lacked the element of shock upon seeing me. I, on the other hand, was completely taken aback to see him.

What happened to staying out of each other's way?

"How long have you been working here?" I question, intrigued, "I thought Zeke only opened shop like a week ago."

"You're full of questions today, aren't you?" Chase snaps but goes to answer me anyway, "I started yesterday. I'm only working here for spring break before I leave town again to finish my studies."

I nod before taking the chance in asking more. "Are you taking over shifts now or are you working beside me?"

"I thought Zeke would've explained this to you already. We're working as partners like we used to." Chase tells me as I'm overcome with a fresh wave of nostalgia. This is like revisiting the past all over again.

I raise a curious brow at his answer, "And you're okay with that?" I frown, puzzled.

Chase turns to face me, his sea blue eyes revealing anger and coldness, "What do you think?!" He barks at me, his deadly gaze keeping me firmly in place.

If he's supposed to be working long side with me, that means he should have pitched for the shift hours ago and now when I'm about to lock up for the day.

"Don't shout at me!" I huff, standing my ground, "You're the one who pitched late for the shift." I remind him, pointing out the facts. No way am I going to take the fall for him anymore.

In the past, Chase didn't always turn up for shifts and if he did, he was late. That left me to do everything. I did all the work. I always had his back and used to lie to Zeke in the hopes of saving Chase from being fired. If Chase thinks that I'm doing that again for him, he must be out of his damn mind.

Chase rolls his eyes at me. "It's day one and you're already starting with me. You always piss me off whenever you get the chance."

"Show up on time and I won't piss you off." I fire back, my own irritation rising. Chase and I are just not capable of civil conversation anymore. "Where were you anyway?" I prod, genuinely interested as to what was so important as to keep him from work.

"None of your business." He remarks in a sour tone, "You're so nosy."

I ignore him, choosing to take his words with a pinch of salt, "I know you were with Summer - your girlfriend." I state knowingly. It had always been for a girl in the past too. Some things just don't change. "Tomorrow, be on time or I'm telling Zeke you're slacking." I threaten him, done being soft Gabby for his sake. He's never going to forgive me no matter how many times I apologize and try take back all what I said to him. I might as well resort back to the old fierce Gabby who kept him in line when necessary.

"You're such a pest." Chase says, a vicious growl emanating from him as his stature visibly stiffens, his face having hardened and his eyes giving away nothing.

"Life's a pest," I say, "get used to it." I can't help the words escaping from my lips. Chase brings out the worst in me. Whenever I with him, I feel discontent - detachment from this world.