Prologue

Darkpaw huffed with exhaustion as she dragged a large clump of moss to the elders den.

"Great StarClan, why do we have to clean out the bedding of other cats?" mewed the black she-cat with a frustrated hiss. "And why is the moss so heavy?"

Sootpaw, her littermate, purred softly and gave his sister a sympathetic look.

"Cause it's part of our training apparently."

The small midnight-black she-cat sighed heavily and slowly trudged into the elders den.

"Mossfur? Willowclaw?"

The two elders turned their heads toward the owner of the voice.

"Darkpaw? Is that you?" Mossfur mewed, his voice raspy with age.

The she-cat apprentice nodded her head.

"Yes, Mossfur, I'm here with Sootpaw. We've brought fresh moss to line your nests with."

She turned to gather the soiled moss the elders had been laying on and pawed it together into a large ball.

"Thank you, Darkpaw," Mossfur replied weakly, his voice thick with the exhaustion of old age. "You're a fine apprentice, and soon you will make a wonderful warrior."

Darkpaw felt her face flush with pride and her orange eyes gleamed.

Darkpaw didn't hear the rest of the conversation, as she was busy carrying the hulking ball of moss out of the elder's den to the Dirtplace to dispose of it.

On her way back to camp after retrieving a new chunk of moss from the woods around camp, Smokestripe crossed paths with her.

"Oh, hey, Darkpaw! I was just looking for you!" the black and grey striped she-cat mewed with a cheerful bounce in her step.

"Blizzardstar's calling a meeting. So hurry along and finish up with your task."

The black she-cat nodded her head and picked up her pace, wanting to finish the elders bedding in time for the Clan meeting.