Obsession

Benny had been depressed to part ways with Ken and Lenny just several months later. They'd stuck around long enough to make sure he could handle a life on the run, and then returned to Cape Space. Bad Cop had finally given up on searching the realm for him by then, but not on searching for him, so he couldn't stay with them. He didn't think he could bear being the reason they got caught. It also would have been too tempting to stick around, when Director Kenning had declared him grounded indefinitely, due to medical reasons. So what if his brain didn't quite work the way it used to? He was still perfectly capable!

But he stayed aboard the Sea Cow as requested, it being his best chance at evading Bad Cop and capture, and tried to settle into the life of a sailor. They'd picked up some new clothes for him during their brief stay in Cape Space to drop off his friends, something more suitable for heat and sun than his space suit. The pirates had laughed at his tropical tee shirts and khaki shorts, but he honestly liked the ridiculous eighties style too much to give it up so easily. (And at any rate, they later admitted, the look suited him.)

Time went on. Some of Metalbeard's original crew left, annoyed with their captain's persistent protection of the spaceman who didn't quite fit in. Not for lack of trying, of course, but all Benny seemed able to talk about was space, and spaceships, and how much he wanted to be back among the stars. The skies had called to him all his life, and he had worked too hard to get himself up there to have to keep his feet on the ground. It wore on him in ways he couldn't explain.

And finally, one day, he decided enough was enough. He was a Master Builder now, wasn't he? There was nothing holding him back from just making his own spaceship and going for a flight. So he dug into the ship's stores of parts, kept handy for when a Master Builder's urge to create struck, and found the materials he would need. He hauled everything up onto the deck, and got to work.

He was maybe halfway through when he found himself being bodily hauled away. "Hey!" he protested. "Put me down!"

"Benny, what are ye doin'?" the captain asked. Benny glared up at him petulantly.

"Building a spaceship, what's it look like?"

"Ye think Bad Cop isn't watchin' the skies for unauthorized aircraft?"

"It's not an aircraft, it's a spacecraft."

"Either or. He's still hellbent on catchin' ye, lad, and I'm not willin' to let ye risk yerself like that."

"But..."

"Besides, it be yer Director's orders, aye? Tis for yer own good." Benny scowled up at him. So the captain had won this round, but he wasn't going to just roll over and give up. He waited several weeks, giving Metalbeard a false sense of security, before trying again.

And getting caught again.

And again.

And again.

He screeched in frustration when Metalbeard pulled him away from a half-finished spaceship for the eleventh time.

"Look, I know what it be like, havin' to give up the things ye love-"

"No, you don't!" Benny shouted, thrashing to get free. "You still have your ship, and the seas! You still have what calls you, so why can't I have the stars?!" The fight seemed to leave him then, and Metalbeard finally set him back down. He sat down hard, sniffling. "Why won't you let me have the stars..."

Metalbeard stared down at him for a bit, before lowering himself to the deck beside the spaceman. They sat in silence for a while. "I've a wife and three children," the captain said at length. Benny wiped his eyes and glanced up at him. "I love them more than anything in the world, even the sea. And... it's been more than a year since I've last seen them. I can't go home, for fear Bad Cop and Business will take them, and use them against me. I don't know when I will see them again. Not 'til this nightmare ends, at least. If I survive it. This feather?" He tapped the decoration at his temple. "Me Pearl gave it to me. Her people don't use wedding bands; they give a piece of themselves." He chuckled at the bemused look on Benny's face as he tried to figure that one out. "Maybe I'll tell ye someday lad, but I can't trust ye with that information just yet."

Benny huffed at him, and glanced back down at his hands. "...I'm sorry," he finally murmured after a while.

"I don't blame ye for bein' upset, lad. I've raged me fair share at how unfair everything be, these days. Have ye looked up?"

Benny gave him a puzzled look, then tilted his head back. "...Oh," he gasped. "It's so clear tonight..."

Metalbeard smirked. "Why don't ye get up, take a peep over the railing." Benny shoved himself to his feet, looking around, eyes wide. The waters were so still, they were almost a mirror, reflecting the pinpoints of light far above.

"You..."

Metalbeard stood, reaching over to gently squeeze his shoulder. "Ye still have yer stars, lad. Ye just had to look, is all."

Benny sniffled again. "Thanks," he murmured. "I think I'm going to stay here for a while..."

"Aye lad, just don't be up too late." Metalbeard smirked at him. "I'm still puttin' ye to work in the morning." Benny snickered.

The  spaceship attempts continued after that, though without the desperation  that previously accompanied them

The spaceship attempts continued after that, though without the desperation that previously accompanied them. It seemed more to be that Master Builder itch that was getting to Benny, giving him the urge to make something. Metalbeard was still vigilant though, just in case.

Crew members continued to come and go with alarming regularity. It wasn't long before Skeeter was the only member of his original crew left. Loyalty apparently didn't account for much in the face of a space-obsessed crewmate.

"Sometimes I'm surprised ye still be around," Metalbeard told Skeeter one day.

"Pfft. Everyone's got their own methods of coping with this madness, I'm hardly going to let his scare me off. Honestly, most times I wonder if they're really that annoyed by him, and not just intimidated by all those big, fancy words he throws around." Metalbeard threw his head back and laughed.