~Chapter One~

"(Y/N)! Do you have everything ready for school tomorrow?" My mom barged into my room with no warning, as usual.

"Unfortunately, yeah." I rolled my eyes. I spun around in my desk chair to face her at the doorway.

"What's that supposed to mean? You were so excited yesterday."

"I'm scared. I haven't seen a kid my age in what? Three years? And now I'm transferring into a school, in a different area than my middle school, so there's zero chances of me knowing anyone."

"Hey, I tried to get you out of the house to make friends." Mom crossed her arms.

"Mom, your coworkers' children weren't even my age!" I argued.

"Well, I still tried. You're gonna just have to deal with it, hun. You'll like it, I'm sure. Why not make friends through the clubs? I know Nekoma has a girls volleyball club you can join. You're pretty good at that sport." She encouraged me. She was right, I was good at volleyball, but I also haven't actually stepped foot out on a court in three years.

"Yeah, we'll see...I'm gonna shower and go to sleep. I guess I'll see you tomorrow after school?"

"Yep, I should be home shortly after you if they don't have me work late." She confirmed.

"Alright...night, I guess." I said as I stood up from my gaming chair to head to my dresser.

"Night, hun. Sweet dreams." Mom said before closing my bedroom door again. I rolled my eyes and pulled out a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt before walking across the hall to the bathroom to shower. I turned on some music and then hopped in.

~~~

After my shower, I laid in bed, scrolling through TikTok until I got tired. My scrolling was interrupted by a discord notification from one of my online best friends, and crush. His username was ApplePi, which is also what he used on almost all of the games we played together. I usually just call him AP or Pi though.

/#\

ApplePi; Hey, you start school tomorrow too, right?

RoseXoXD; Unfortunately, yeah :(

ApplePi; oh, don't be so down about it. You'll be fine.

RoseXoXD; I haven't been around a kid my age in years, Pi. I don't even know how to communicate with people anymore.

ApplePi; You communicate with me, don't you?

RoseXoXD; You're different. I don't know your name, face, or where you live other than you live in Japan because we met on Japanese game servers. And you don't know my name or face either. You can't judge me like all these people are going to be able to.

ApplePi; You're overthinking it, Rose. Just be yourself, I'm sure you'll do great.

RoseXoXD; Ugh, if you say so.

ApplePi; I know so. :)

ApplePi; You'll do amazing. Message me anytime you feel nervous, I'll be there. I'm on my phone 99% of the day.

ApplePi; Now get some sleep. It's getting late.

RoseXoXD; Fine. Goodnight.

ApplePi; Night

/#\

I smiled at my phone. Talking to Pi always made me feel better. He always knows how to cheer me up, even if he really isn't trying.

I eventually drifted off to sleep, still dreading morning coming but also not as nervous anymore.

~~~