Chapter 4 - Visiting Home

Shaoshang was determined. She spent day after day sitting at Buyi's large oak desk writing and writing until her hands hurt. She would be happy as long as their future home would be a cosy, relaxing place for when Buyi finished his arduous training days. Although it was a big task and a first-time challenge for her, she had a lot of fun doing it. After all, their home would be their own in every way once it was constructed. It took a full week; a week of daydreaming about her future with her husband and letting it inspire her before she had a solid plan set in place. She could picture the final result as she handed her work over to a man Buyi had hired. The days had been long but it was worth every moment. Buyi had been incredibly busy but when he couldn't stay with her he'd make sure either A'Qi or A'Fei accompanied her but the second he was free from his responsibilities he would run back to Shaoshang. He'd take her on walks, go to eat and drink with the soldiers and sometimes just have some time to themselves, savouring their time together.

One thing Shaoshang was growing apprehensive about was the constant talk of children. Buyi kept talking about their future children. He was the last member of his bloodline and wanted to continue it, not just for him and Shaoshang but for his parents too. Of course, Shaoshang agreed and wanted to complete their family. Since the conversations began, she frequently dreamt about what she wanted her future to look like, like her daydreams but in more clarity. A future with children running around playing together while their parents gazed at them adoringly. As much as she desired it, she knew she wasn't ready yet, nowhere near ready in fact. She loved her precious niece and nephew and after leaving the palace spent as much time with them as possible, but after viewing their many tantrums she decided that she'd rather take her time and relax with Buyi first, not that she'd expressed these feelings to him.

The other thing they had discussed in great detail was Buyi's future as a General. They'd decided to discuss it with the emperor once they were officially married. If all goes to plan they would ask the emperor if he could be retired from his position in order to prioritise his family. Shaoshang had already been caught up with the emperor's strong opinions on his retirement. Buyi had been pressured numerous times to settle down starting long before he met Shaoshang. He was seen by the public as a god of war, ready to keep them safe, and he could never previously justify stepping away from it all. This was before his world was completely flipped and his priorities were very different from years before. Now the quicker he could settle down the better.

Once the house plans were approved, Shaoshang spent a lot more time with Buyi, even joining him when he led training sessions. A few times she tried to join in, which almost always led to her falling over and being helped up by Buyi amid floods of laughter from the soldiers around her.

Two months passed by in a heartbeat. It had been a while since they started constructing the house and they had made great progress. Buyi had to leave a couple of times; 2 small rebel groups started making trouble, but they were easily dealt with and he wasn't away for more than a day or two. Even the short amount of time away was too long for Shaoshang. Every time he left, her anxiety overwhelmed her. Knowing he had years of experience should have calmed her nerves, but she couldn't shake the worry about his well-being. The second she received news of his return she was right by his side, armed with bandages and medicine. She had become very clingy and from then on refused to leave his side unless entirely necessary.

They were in the middle of yet another long training session when a eunuch arrived at the camp, an imperial edict in his possession. With respect, they knelt down side by side to receive the edict before the eunuch started speaking. "By imperial order, Huo Wushang and Cheng Shaoshang will marry in the imperial palace after 3 days. Huo Buyi is to return to the palace immediately and Cheng Shaoshang is to return home for ritual preparations. Accept the edict" he read, calm and composed. That was more than what could be said for Shaoshang. Just the thought of a few days away from Buyi stopped her breath as she tried to process another separation. In sync, they thanked the emperor before Buyi received the gold-lined scroll confirming their official marriage date. The overwhelm completely overtook Shaoshang at that point as she slumped back, nearly falling backwards, her head feeling completely numb, a new sensation that frightened her. The previous times he had to leave she could at least mask her emotions but this time she couldn't control it.

"Niao Niao" he called out to her in a tone that mixed both confusion and concern, "Niao Niao what's the matter?". Buyi pulled Shaoshang into a hug as he saw tears welling in her big eyes. "I'm okay, I'm okay". Her words were near whispers as she started to stutter, "I'm not going to see you for 2 days, what am I going to do". He let out a low chuckle as he wiped away the droplet that slowly ran down her cheek. "It's okay my love. Enjoy the time you get with your parents and I'll pick you up on the auspicious day". He smiled down at her before pulling away from the hug. He kissed her forehead before pecking her lips until he headed to the imperial carriage that had been sent to bring him back. Shaoshang waved as the carriage disappeared under the afternoon sun, her tears finally coming out in full force and soaking her cheeks. Once she'd calmed herself down she was led by one of Buyi's men to his glazed black carriage before being sent back to the Cheng family home.

As she was guided out of the carriage her parents and grandmother greeted her. Her mother grabbed her hand as she descended the steps and before her feet could hit the ground, she leapt at her mum, hugging her tightly. "Welcome back Niao Niao", her mum returned the hug, instantly calming Shaoshang with its warmth. She eventually pulled away and respectfully greeted her family. Cheng Shi, her father, huffed and rolled his eyes after being left out of a hug before scooping his daughter up in a joy-filled embrace. Shaoshang had almost forgotten the purpose of her being home until she asked what they had planned for the wedding.

Shaoshang nagged consistently, trying to pry out any information she could about the wedding, but they kept quiet and batted away the questions. They had spent a significant amount of time talking with the emperor but had agreed that the details of the day would be kept confidential. Shaoshang tried her best, even pulling her best puppy dog eyes to get her father to bend, but all failed. She eventually gave up and went on the lookout for Shaogong to see what he had been up to. She found him messing with some twigs under a tree. Not convinced by the constant public displays of affection, all that Shaogong desired was to open up his own stall in the streets of the capital, making money by telling the fortunes of curious people. He asked Shaoshang what she thought of his plans before she joked about the accuracy of his usual predictions. Out of curiosity, Shaoshang asked what the world wanted to say about the future at that time before he excitedly jumped up to find his rocks. She laughed as he scurried away excitedly. 

Although the Cheng residence wasn't the most exciting place to be stuck in the buildup to the wedding, it was nice to see all of her family again. Shaoshang hadn't left the camp since they came back from Hua County and she started to miss them all. On the second day at home, she got a visit from Song and Qiqi. She talked with Qiqi for hours, having their first catch-up in what felt like forever. Shaoshang made a number of jokes but was slightly disappointed when Qiqi didn't react to it in the way she would have years ago. After giving birth to their twins, Qiqi had matured a great amount. In Shaoshang's eyes she wasn't as fun anymore, but regardless she still loved her best friend and sister-in-law.

Shaoshang's head snapped around as familiar shills of voices appeared behind her. "Auntie Niao Niao, Auntie Niao Niao", the two tiny toddlers called as they were running towards the direction of their mother and aunt, Cheng Song keeping his distance behind them. They ran in for hugs as Shaoshang pulled them in and picked them both up. "A'Ming, A'Jing hello". Niao Niao had a sudden feeling of pride towards her young niece and nephew, as well as contentment towards the family that she was so blessed to have by her side. A collection of giggles came from the children as she put them back on the ground by their mother. Wiping the tears from her face, she left to find some snacks.