Episode 10 - Garden Woes

The palace garden had always been managed to perfection by the Empress. Many differently colored flowers grew with absolute care. Exotic plants and even insects such as butterflies were cultivated. 

The gardeners receive an exorbitant pay from the palace as they follow the Empress's design to a tee and act on her plans regarding the layout and look of the entire greenery within the stretches of the castle.

Being the head gardener in the palace is considered as an extremely high honor due to the fact that the head manages and takes care of all the plants and soil in the entire domain and also has a seat as one of the key advisors of the Empress.

This was Millo Azarolla's job and he had always held himself in confidence for being skilled enough to maintain the whole of the flora in the palace.

This day was probably his most nervous, however. The Empress was kind and nice and made his work a very amicable experience but this time, the merciful Empress was with a witch that not even the most ravenous dragons would dare offend.

His sister.

Roselia was strict. Millo still remembers being scolded for not properly eating his meal and how heavily she reprimanded him. He also remembered the time his sister beat him out of knighthood after he said he was going to join the knights.

His sister was merciless when it came to him, which was annoying because when it came to their little sister, Roselia was far more lenient. He was always the only one she was stern with.

Today he wanted to prove to her how far he has come in this position by making the garden where the Empress and Emperor would meet the Grand Duke and Duchess of Ramirez be as exquisite as ever a garden in heaven.

In a few minutes his sister and her husband, the Duke would arrive, and he was one of the people to greet and point them to the main palace garden. 

His knees were trembling as he waited patiently by the front gate of the Imperial Palace with fellow servants of high standing. He stood next to the Butler, who held the most power amongst the different staff and workers within the castle.

"Raise your chins." The Butler spoke with confidence. "It has been a while since the Grand Duke and Duchess have been in an official audience with his and her Majesty. So be respectful." 

The others straightened their postures and patted down any stray specks of dust off their suits and dresses. 

Soon a carriage covered in gold and adorned with tiger motifs rolled up at the front of the gate. Once the guard let the coachman through, the beautiful carriage slowly halted to a stop. The horse grunted as it stomped on the cobblestone path.

The horse was white with a golden mane. It was armored in expensive leather and golden straps and made it look extremely fashionable, like a fantastical horse from some fairy tale.

The carriage door opened and a woman's foot stepped down first. Millo's palms turned wet with sweat as he stared in fear as his older sister, Duchess Roselia Ramirez, stepped out of the carriage followed by her husband, Duke Joseph Ramirez.

She wore a dark blue dress that had its front skirt opened up to reveal similarly colored pants. A belt was strapped on her waist where a sword hung for security. She wore a glittering top but it was complemented by steel plating and armor, where a design that usually would clash with each other worked very well instead.

She raised her hand to help her husband down, which he gladly took. The Duke looked as grand as ever. His black hair pulled to the back into a ponytail. He wore a black tunic, with a golden cloak, and white tight fitted button jacket over it with golden attachments and a necklace that symbolized the Ramirez family.