Chapter 3

Mattheo

The hours drag on as we walk through the darkness of the Forbidden Forest. Our footsteps echo softly on the forest floor, accompanied by the murmurs of the night.

Lanterns and the glow of our magic wands dimly light our way, casting dancing shadows on the majestic trees.

The forest that terrifies most Hogwarts students has always had a calming effect on me. Its secrets and mysteries draw me in, and I find refuge in it when the weight of my past becomes too heavy to bear.

Being the son of the Dark Lord and a renowned Death Eater is not an easy thing to live with. It has its advantages, of course, but the disadvantages are far more numerous.

My time at Hogwarts was not without its difficulties. In six years, I've managed to carve out a place for myself within the school despite the struggle to live up to my name, but recently, with unexplained disappearances shaking the valley, that balance has been threatened.

Some students, influenced by rumours and sensational articles in the Daily Prophet, think I'm following in my father's footsteps, that I'm destined to carry on his dark work. This irritates me to no end, as I strive to forge my own path, far from the shadow of his sinister reputation.

"Shit!"

My thoughts are interrupted by Val stumbling suddenly, catching a root in the path. My instinctive reflex pushes me to catch her by the arm to prevent her from falling.

I stare at her with a wry smile, amused by the situation.

"Be careful where you step, Pierce. I'm not sure I want to carry you on my back all evening," I tease her.

She looks at me with amusement, regaining her balance. "Should I thank you or hit you?" she asks with a giggle, before continuing to walk.

Valentina is without doubt the only girl who has taken my heart, amicably I mean.

We have nothing more than a sibling relationship even though I find her to be without a doubt the most beautiful girl in this school.

"I'd rather you thanked me," I retort with a tone of arrogance, before she gently taps me on the shoulder.

She has a unique way of drawing me out, and despite our teasing dynamic, I know she understands that I'm trying my best to be the best friend I can be. It's a special relationship we share, and I'm grateful to have her in my life.

She has been able to break through the barriers of my shell and see past my facade of arrogance. Even though many people see me as an arrogant, impulsive prick, she knows that I strive to do my best, just like Theo, Enzo.

Theo is my childhood friend, his father was a Death Eater who worked for my father, and I often lived with him when my beloved parents preferred to have me looked after by strangers.

We followed Hagrid, our guide through the mysterious night. His broad back and imposing stature guide us through the winding paths.

I glanced at Valentina, who was walking beside me, her face lit up by the glow of her wand.

We had finished gathering the ingredients Thorne needed, but Hagrid insisted on taking us somewhere 'cool'.

The night in the forest is quiet, disturbed only by the rustling of leaves and the distant song of nocturnal creatures.

A sudden noise makes us all turn our heads, a sound like the moaning of a wounded animal.

Our eyes turn to the rocks above, where the noise is coming from.