48. A Proper Trainer

Caroline wrapped her arms around me and gave me a big hug.

"I'm going to miss you," she said. The black soul stone around her neck glittered in the sunlight. Zara's mother had reversed the spell so that Caroline's power flowed back into her. "I feel like we're practically sisters now."

I smiled. It was good to see her gaining strength.

Meredith waved from inside the car, obviously ready to go home.

"Thanks for everything," Eloise said, taking my hand in hers. "You're a very special girl, Harper. If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to call on me."

"Thanks," I said. I waved as they climbed into their car and drove off down the long, tree-lined driveway.

Zara stood on the porch, waving as she lounged in the swing.

I joined her, enjoying an unusually warm fall afternoon. "Will you and your mother be staying much longer?" I asked.

"Mother still has some work to do here in town," she said. "She's interviewing Mary Anne to get information about her family and where they live. Her trackers are already looking for them in the woods, though, and I imagine it won't take them too long to locate the coven. It's amazing they remained hidden for so long."

"They spent a hundred years focusing on vengeance," I said. "I don't think this is over yet."

"Not over," she said. "But resting."

Rest. I liked the sound of that word. After everything I'd been through, I was ready for some peace and quiet. Some rest.

"Mother also thinks that your training here is pathetic," Zara said. "She thinks a proper trainer should be brought in. Someone who can really whip you into shape. The Order here in Peachville has survived so long without a Prima, they've gotten used to being on their own. It's time someone taught you how to be a real leader."

I cringed as I pictured spending my days with some old witch who would bark orders at me and make me memorize useless spells.

"That's why I'll be moving into a bedroom just down the hall from you," she said.

I opened my mouth in surprise. "You?" I asked.

She smiled. "Your official training begins next week."