Chapter Eighteen - Speak of the Devil

The aftermath of the debutante attack left the palace and its people in shock. Rumors swirled like wildfire, attempting to make sense of the ambitious yet futile act. Some said it was revenge for a fallen family member, while others whispered about a secret informant within the palace. Despite the chaos, the well-trained knights of the palace swiftly took down the invaders, leaving no room for mercy.

The debutante had been disrupted and put to a halt immediately after the incident. The debutante, which should have lasted for a couple of months, only lasted for less than a night, but the guests were understanding given the circumstances. After what had happened, how could they have the mood to lift their feet and just dance?

It inevitably left those involved a very negative impression. As well as stunned everyone when they heard the breaking news. Everyone was genuinely shocked because this kind of incident had never occurred since the duke ruled the dukedom. Regardless, everyone was relieved that the situation had been brought under control.

In the days following the incident, Ash returned to Peony Garden to meet with Ruland and Neil, relieved to find them both safe and unscathed.

"What is this? You two look just fine. You worried me for nothing." Ash teased them to lighten the air.

"I'm glad you're safe, Ms. Ash," Ruland said, his eyes filled with genuine concern.

"Likewise, I'm relieved to see you both unharmed," Ash replied softly.

Ruland smiled faintly, urging Ash not to take such risks again. "Ms. Ash, don't do something rash ever again."

Neil nodded in agreement, adding, "You have to consider your safety too, Ms. Ash."

Ash playfully brushes them off, "All right, all right, I will consider that."

"But, Ms. Ash?" Neil hesitated.

"Yes, Neil, what are you trying to say?"

"Last night, what happened with you and Duke Aurelian?"

Hack!

Ash coughed, almost choking on her dry throat with Neil's uncalled question. She was reminded of the intimacy that she shared with the duke.

"Oh, nothing much; he had arrived in time and saved me. That's all to it."

"I didn't know that you were that close with the duke. You should have seen his face when he found out you were not with us last night."

What kind of face does he make? I want to see it, Ash thought.

"Well, Duke Aurelian is Lady Liandra's brother, so it makes sense I'm a little close to him, no? And speaking of Liandra, did you manage to say goodbye to her?" Ash tried to change the subject to avoid talking about her and the duke.

"I did, Ms. Ash." Neil replied and continued, "She was worried about you, and she told me to pass you, her regard."

"Duke Aurelian told me that she was in some safe place now, so I hope we will meet with her soon then."

"Let's hope so."

"Uhm, Neil, Ruland, I have a favor to ask."

"Yes, what is it, Ms. Ash?" Ruland replied.

"Do you both mind changing into new clothes first, at least before others arrive?"

Haaa... They both sighed.

"I thought it was something serious for a moment; you got us there," Neil replied.

Ash chuckled. "We don't want to worry the others, right?"