Chapter 22 - Seriousness

With the army of my ex-husband's parents, I sailed back to Westeros. They now obeyed my orders exclusively. As for my ex-in-laws... When Dreadfall burned Nemerio, they just looked at me in disbelief. I wasn't the cute little girl they lied to for years anymore. Well, after Dappron foolishly tried to stab me with his dagger, my dragon's flame was faster. Massara now lives alone, without a husband, without heirs and without an army. She still has her palace and her gold at least. And I've never felt so good. So... Powerful.

It took a little over 40 days due to the weather before we finally docked in Driftmark. Dreadfall always stayed with us, even though I told him he could already fly ahead. Of course, upon arrival, he went straight to his usual spot and slept.

Neither Rhaenys nor Corlys liked my absence. To avoid their concerns, I only left a note before I left. It wasn't necessarily the best way, but I didn't feel like arguing.

So when I walked into the main hall, where they were both seated at the fire place, I was greeted with concern, but mostly annoyance. Now it was time to pretend I didn't know about Rhaenys' plans.

"Aemy! What were you thinking? By the Seven, you could have died!" With those words, Corlys stood up, but then pulled me into a short hug.

"I do hope you haven't done anything stupid!" Rhaenys suddenly interjected, taking my hand.

"Don't worry. All that matters is that I brought the army with me. And there were only two casualties..." I whispered the last part, just so it didn't sound "proud".

Corlys raised his eyebrows. "I do hope that one of them was Nemerio."

"Corlys!" Rhaenys scolded him, but then agreed. After he killed my child, he was hated.

"Yes, it was Nemerio. His father then tried to stab me, but Dreadfall was faster." I felt very satisfied at the thought. "I know it's off topic, but do you know anything about Viserys? Is he alive?"

"Yes. But it is believed that he will die within a few days." Rhaenys took a deep breath while Corlys put an arm around her shoulders. She looked at me uncertainly. "You can go to King's Landing again and say goodbye. I'll take you there with Meleys tomorrow night. We should let your dragon rest for now."

I just nodded in understanding and they told me to freshen up in my chambers.

Every time I stepped into a bathtub, I thought of Aemond. Both the first time with him and the second time. The thought of seeing him again soon, albeit under sad circumstances, warmed my heart. Am I allowed to feel that at all? I mean, basically I'll have to fight him too, since he'll definitely be defending Aegon. Unless...

Build your own glory.

The next day passed faster than expected. I soon found myself on Meleys with Rhaenys, flying under the stars to King's Landing. I thought a lot, and then asked something really stupid. "Have you ever been in love with someone you didn't marry?"

She turned to me questioningly, but didn't judge me. "Aside from that time when you've just had your first bleeding and looking at good looking knights? No. I've held to duty and tradition, and I've come to love Corlys over time. Why are you asking?"

"Hm... I was just curious."

"Aemy. Tell me the truth. Are you in love with someone?" She sounded like a caring mother explaining this to her daughter.

"Would it be bad...?" I sounded a little reserved and nervous, but mostly... in love.

"Some people say "Love is the death of duty, and duty is the death of love". It twists the mind and can lead to bad things, for example if you are at bad terms with that family. We Targaryens are a big part of the realm, and we must not jeopardize that by engaging in forbidden love... As your father did."

I didn't say anything. Maybe I should just ignore Aemond and serve the family... As is tradition. Then I still had a last question. "And what if the person I love now, suppose I did, would be married to me and it brought political benefits, would it still be bad?"

"Since political benefits are more important to the realm, nothing would stand in the way of that." She smiled at me over her shoulder.

I smiled back, but that smile wasn't as honest as usual. I looked up at the sky, and I was talking to my child in my mind...
.
.
.
.
I was just entering King Viserys' chambers. His sight was terrible. His right eye was gone, and his cheek was mangled as well. He's decomposing alive...