Chapter 21

"I'll be back. It'll just take a few nights." My dear friend Maria packed her bags and was already leaving out the door.

"Are you sure you have to leave now? I have a bad feeling." Her younger sister Ana held onto her arm and pleaded for her to stay.

"It's just a small road trip with my camera. I promise you, sister, I'll be fine." Maria put her hand on Ana's shoulder in a comforting way.

I felt out of place. I was friends with both the girls, and yet it felt weird that I was here to say goodbye. Maria had invited me to her house before she left so I could help her pack. I felt it was odd that she wanted me to come instead of anyone else. In all honesty, I think she just wanted me here to watch over Ana while she left.

Ana was best friends with her sister. She was the only one against her leaving on this road trip. I can understand her reasoning for her sister to stay safe, but nothing should go wrong while she's out there.

The sisters hug each other, pulling apart before Maria leaves. We watched as she got in her car and drove off, looking back at us once or twice before she was gone down the road.

"She shouldn't have gone." Ana turned to me, "I just have a feeling."

"She knows how to stay safe, Ana. I trust your intuition, but I think she'll be fine. I'm sure she would get some nice pictures out there as well." I said, trying my best to comfort Ana.

~○~

A week has passed. Maria said she would only be gone for a few nights. Anxiety started to sink into me the more I thought about what Ana had said. We can only hope that she wasn't right.

"I'm sure she's fine..." My boyfriend stepped behind me, putting an arm around my shoulder and lightly squeezing it. "She's probably just lost."

"No. My sister is missing." Ana said at a low tone. She was mad, and we could all tell, but she was keeping it well hidden.

"The cops said we just need to wait. They're going to do their job and bring her back." Connie stepped into the conversation.

The whole group was there. Ana, Leland, Connie, Sonny, and Julie. We met up the second Ana called us. Maria was officially missing without many leads.

"The cops don't know anything. Didn't you hear them? They're going to give up on my sister." Ana's anger shined for a second before she dulled back down.

"They have limited leads on her whereabouts." Sonny spoke.

"But what are we supposed to do about that? It's the cops job to find her." I could hear Leland's voice close behind me. I leaned backward and rested on him.

"Let's go look for her. The news says that she was last seen in the town of Newt. So let's go there and figure out where she went." Ana straightened her back, gazing off into the distance as she was caught in her thoughts.

"For Maria, I'll go." Julie stepped over to Ana, placing a hand on her shoulder.

We all agreed to go with Ana to look for her. Each person was more than ready to go. A few of us had our doubts, but for Maria? We will search for her till the end of our days.

"Tomorrow morning, meet me at my house. I'll bring the van so we can all fit. I just need a night to collect all the information that the police have found." Ana said. We all agreed. We will find Maria.

~○~

My eyes opened wide as my arm was lightly shaking. Was that a dream? I remember it all like it was yesterday. Maria, oh, how I wish we never went looking for you.

I was pulled into reality once I was fully awake. Johnny groaned, his face still right in mine. His expression was pained as he slightly jerked in my arms.

"Johnny?" I said out loud, looking at him with curiosity.

"No..." Johnny's voice trailed off as he let out a soft whimper. Was he having a nightmare? The terrifying and violent Johnny having a nightmare? There's no way, right?

"Johnny, wake up." I tapped his leg with mine while lightly shaking my arm under his head. Nothing happened. Johnny kept groaning and twitching.

"Johnny!" I said louder while moving my arm as high up as I could to move his head.

"Fuck." Johnny woke up with wide eyes. His hands grabbed my waist tightly. Like tight tight. His fingers dug into my skin, making me wince.

"Y/N?" He loosened his grip on me. His once heavy breathing turned slow once more as he looked at me.

"Having a nightmare?" I brought my voice lower to a whisper once again.

"Don't talk about it." Johnny sighed, getting defensive once again.

"It's okay. We all have nightmares." I put my forehead against his, mostly just because I was curious about his nightmare and wanted him to open up to me.

"I don't. I don't get scared." Johnny slightly raised his voice, furrowing his eyebrows as he looked at me. It was a tense moment in silence before he thrusted his head forward and down into my neck. His arms were tightly around me, pulling us closer together.

"Everyone gets scared. It's okay." I whispered to Johnny, feeling his hot breath against my neck. That was until he pulled away, looking into my eyes with an expression I couldn't quite pinpoint.

"Kiss me." Johnny said, still looking into my eyes.

"What?" I was caught off guard by his request. My palms started to feel sweaty, and my heart started to beat quicker.

"I said kiss me." Johnny's eyes were narrow, his lids hiding most of the chocolate color.

"I... I umm..." I stuttered before giving in. Even when I know who Johnny is, he still has some sort of effect on me. Controlling and leading me in ways I can't even describe.

"Just one little kiss." Johnny leaned closer to me. "May I?"

~○~