The dancer

Lady Danbury looked satisfied at the room lit up by the wonderful candelabra given to her by the queen. Of course she knew that in due time the Queen would call for some favor which of course she could not refuse..
She was awaiting the arrival of the 2 ladies that she had aimed for this season, that she wanted to marry and when she set her mind to something, she hardly could not get it.
She saw most of the Bridgerton family come in. Lady Violet was missing at home with Gregory ill, though her son was old enough to be home alone. Her mother was always very apprehensive of her sons. And of course that globetrotting Colin was missing, but that was good for her, although she liked that pretty rascal face, he would always be hanging around poor Penelope without letting her look around. Good heavens she wanted it for him what was she waiting for !!
She saw Penelope enter Eloise arm in arm, she immediately saw the difference between them. Not only physically but in character they couldn't be more different.
It was enough to look at Penelope's face, full, sweet and smiling which automatically brought a smile to those who observed her, and she had already noticed some lords who were observing her .... well, well.
But the face of her partner was quite another thing ... Eloise was the classic person that if she didn't want to be in one place, it transpired from her face. In fact, she looked around with a frown like, don't you even dare say hello to me, and her mouth was always tight in a straight line or in a grimace. She had to share them.
"Lady Featherington, Lady Bridgerton what a pleasure to have you here." she saw Eloise roll her eyes and she pretended not to see. "Lady Featherington I would like to introduce you to the son of a dear friend of mine" Eloise was taking advantage of disappearing but Lady Danbury's cane stopped her retreat.
"Stop them dear, I have someone to let you know too"
"But I'm not interested, if you really want ... here you go" she said pushing into Lady Danbury's arms a not so enthusiastic Hyacinth who was entering at that moment with Benedict who was promptly taken by the arm and removed from Eloise.
Lady Danbury couldn't help but praise Eloise's speed of intent watching her flee and shaking her head.
"I sincerely hope you take good care of my sisters," said Anthony Bridgerton to Lady Danbury.
"But certainly... pity I missed one."
"Ehh yes Eloise can be a real eel" she said smiling the viscountess Kate proudly showing off, despite her Ton deeming it inappropriate, a magnificent pregnancy.
"Viscountess you are enchanting, motherhood makes you even more beautiful"
"That's what I tell him too every morning when she curses me because she can't get into her clothes .." Anthony said kissing her temple.
"And tell me that gypsy brother of yours when he has the goodness to come and see this poor old woman, perhaps at my funeral?"
"I don't see any old woman about to pass away" Anthony said smiling "Colin is in India for work but we hope to see him in a month, he wants to come back for our mother's birthday."
Penelope pretended not to be interested in the subject but she took note of the fact that she was certainly not going to look good on Lady Violet's birthday.
"It's good for you that Colin isn't here, isn't it Penelope?" said Lady Danbury
Penelope was a little taken aback by Lady Danbury's remark
"I Don't Understand Lady Danbury"
"In the sense that she will not always have Colin Bridgerton by her side, tonight she will be free to dance with whoever she wants and no lord will feel in awe of approaching her"
"Colin can be too protective of Penelope, we took her under our protection but in fact it's a good thing she's not there, so Penelope will finally be able to have fun"
"Well now that you have ascertained how lucky I am not to suffer from the presence of Mr. Bridgerton, Lady Danbury, would you like me to meet someone?"
"Sure...sure dear, come with me"
Anthony watched Penelope as she approached a tall blond and well-carried lord who made an impeccable kiss on the hand.
"Colin isn't here but I see we have another falcon here..." Kate said
"I just want him to be happy...he deserves to be happy and with Colin he never would be."
"But Colin doesn't have any interest in her right?… Right? Or are you keeping something from me..." Kate said
"Colin is nagging me to find out everything about Penelope, she doesn't answer his letters and it's not like her. To tell the truth, I don't understand what's going on between them. They've always been very good friends but lately things have changed and Colin can't get over it. I just want to know if everything's all right. And if my wife lets me, I'll dance with Penelope tonight."
"Surely as long as you don't make me dance... I feel like a stuffed turkey"
"A really sexy turkey..." glancing at Kate's full breasts.
Kate fanned it at him smiling.

"She is very charming, Miss Featherington, and dances very well"
"Thank you, Lord Rasenmier, and what does he do in Austria?" Penelope said interested.
"I have several lands left by my ancestors to look after and with them all the people who live there and work for me. Taking time for myself was something I hadn't done for almost 2 years. And it was nice to receive the invitation from our mutual friend, Lady Danbury, is an incredible woman, I admire independent and enterprising women like her"
Penelope was so pleased by those words that she lit up her face with a beautiful smile, so much so that she tripped Baron Rasenmier and turned him red as she apologized.
Penelope really liked the Baron's reaction to her smile.
After the bow at the end of the dance the baron asked her if she wanted a drink and asked for lemonade.
As soon as the baron left, Eloise arrived.
"Ohh I finally thought he wanted to take you to Prussia with him..."
"In Austria if anything..."
"Yes was to say, why are you red?"
"I danced a lot..." lies Penelope
"You won't like the baron? But I say I'll leave you for a moment and you've already fallen in love"
"But stop it Eloise is just a pleasant company and you dear who did you dance with?"
"With nobody!" Eloise said proudly, raising her head stiffly.
"Eloise!"
"Penelope!" Eloise said mimicking her friend.
"Ohh no here he is back already..."
"Here milady, oh I'm sorry I didn't see you had company, here I offer you my lemonade I'll go get another one" said the baron putting her glass in Eloise's hand and leaving Eloise speechless.
"Well...I find it nice Eloise don't you think?" she said smiling at her friend that she had been struck by the kindness of the baron "You're not going to take him away from me?" she said looking at Eloise.
"Pff please...you saw him first.." she said laughing heartily for the first time during the evening.
Anthony sneaked up on the girls making them jump when he asked who they were watching.
"Nobody," they said quickly together.
"But I think you are observing a certain baron, are you thinking of sharing him?" said Anthony cheekily.
"No, I think the baron has already set his sights on Penelope, I couldn't make him fall madly in love with me... can you believe it brother??"
"Nooo how is it possible that he hasn't been dazzled by your smile and your kindness .."
Penelope could hardly keep from laughing heartily for those two shapes that she had next to her.
"Ehh this must not be my evening..."
"Stop it, it's coming"
"Ohh good evening milord" the baron remained in the balance between handing Anthony yet another drink or introducing himself, Anthony removed him from the impasse.
"Let me introduce myself, Anthony Bridgerton, you are in the company of my sister Eloise and my dear family friend Lady Featherington"
"Lord Rasenmier to serve her"
"Baron Rasenmier, right?"
"My father loved to fulfill his rank I prefer to be just Lord Rasenmier or Albert if it doesn't make you uncomfortable"
"It will be a pleasure, Albert, to drink something more suitable for my men, later if you like, we usually meet at Sir Londonsale's club."
"Very gladly"
"Now I'm leaving you in sweet company, with your permission I'll take my wife home, in her state she mustn't get tired. Then I'll send the carriage to pick you up."
"One word milord?" asked Lord Rasenmier
"Sure," said Anthony, motioning them away.
"What would you like to ask Anthony?"
Penelope had her heart pounding, she only imagined what she could be, she was happy, in part. But a part of her could only be sad and melancholy.