Chapter 10: Table Plans

It was winter. Christmas was about sometime near here. Just after today, the last day of school (for now of course) and winter break will finally begin. Marinette darted back and forth across her bedroom. She was making sure every detail was just right for her Friday morning walk to school.

"You do know that he won't be able to see half of the work you're doing." Tikki giggled.

She watched her chosen fix her hair and compare two bottles of foundation.

"It's cold today and you'll both be wearing winter gear." Tikki added, "And you'll be bundled up." "I know, I know." Marinette muttered, "I'm wearing my hair pulled back because I'm not sure about what static electricity to it."

She stared at her reflection, weighing the choice and possible risk.

"I'm not trying too hard, am I, Tikki?" she sighed, "I mean...I know it's not a prom or anything, but now that I have his attention...I'd like to keep it."

"I'm just teasing you, Marinette." Tikki smiled, "You look just fine."

...

Tom watched with a wide smile as his small talk with Adrien (who had arrived sometime before) was abruptly interrupted once Adrien heard light footsteps coming down the stairs of the main household. His eyes flickered there with anticipation. You're hooked. thought Tom wryly.

"Good morning, Marinette!" he called out.

Marinette finally emerged. Her grin widening at the sight of who was with him.

"Good morning, Dad." replied Marinette, coming over for a quick hug, "And hello, Adrien!"

"Hello there." he replied, "You look very nice today, Marinette!"

"You can tell under all this?"

Marinette gestured to her heavy white coat and matching hat as she made that quip.

"Well, I can certainly guess the rest." Adrien answered, "I like that coat. Very stylish. Looks like Italian lines. Where did you get it?"

"This was from my grandmother." Marinette explained, "It was from last Christmas. I had the hat already, however."

"I can hear the wind whipping out there and just the sound gives me the chills." Tom noted, "Good thing you're not walking too far. By the way, did I hear right that you might be joining us for supper tonight, Adrien?"

"If you'll have me, I'd love to." Adrien answered.

Tom grinned as he said that in that case, he'll have some work to do in the kitchen. He asked what his favorite fruit flavor was, including his favorite dessert. Adrien mused that he had a weakness for passionfruit, however, it wasn't the easiest to find. Other than that, he's easily pleased with apples, cherry, raspberry, lemon and peach.

"I can't imagine that anything you could make won't be delicious, Mr. Dupain." said Adrien.

"Don't go too far, Dad." Marinette added lightly, "I don't think dinner for four calls for a full croquembouche."

"What's...a croquembouche?"

"A tower of pastries that's about half a meter high."

Marinette grinned at Adrien, then turned back towards her father. Tom claimed that his record was more than half a meter. The two then headed towards the door. Before they left though, however...

"Adrien, could you tie my scarf for me please?"

"Certainly." beamed Adrien.

Tom watched the model come in close and began looping in close and began looking it over and under, then under and over. Tom mentally congratulated Marinette. That was one way to get Adrien Agreste to face forward.