~what doesn't kill me makes me want you more~

Now Playing: Cruel Summer by Taylor Swift

---

You had already spent three days in the human realm.

Three days since the Day of Unity.

Three days without Ophelia.

Three days away from home.

But where even was your home?

Sure, you lived with Ophelia, and her dads were great to you in the way that your best friends parents should be great to you, not in the way a parent would be. And sure you felt safe and happy there, but it just wasn't home. It was shelter and food and family until you turn eighteen, but it was borrowed family. A second family. There was no first.

Not that it mattered, because right now it was the only home you wanted to return to. 

"Hey, Y/N!" Hunter exclaimed, running downstairs and into the basement where you sat, reading the Good Witch Azura. "Guess what?" 

"What?" You ask, sitting up and putting a bookmark in the book.

"Luz showed me this thing called a.. a Switch." He says excitedly. 

"What is it?" You ask, tilting your head slightly.

"I don't know! But it's so cool, come look!" He rushes back up the stairs without waiting for your answer, so you get up and follow him.

"So what's a.. switch?" You ask as you walk over to the couch and sit down near Hunter. Luz was leaning over the back of it.

"A video game console!" She says.

"What's that?"

"Oh you poor soul." Luz mutters. "You play games on it! I showed Hunter already."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Look at this one! It's called Zelda!" 

---

Five hours and 23 games of Mario Kart later, Camilla walks in and tells you, Hunter, Luz and Gus that it's 'bad for you' to look at the screen for so long.

"But, mama-" Luz starts.

"Luz."

"Okayy." She sighs, switching off the TV.

"But-" Hunter starts. "But you didn't even let me get to the first village in Zelda yet." Hunter says, sniffling.

"You can borrow it tonight." Luz whispers as Camilla walks away.

"Yes." He exclaims quietly.

"Well now I need to explain the other consoles to you." Luz says, sitting up on her knees. 

"Alright, I'm going to bed." You stand up.

"Y/N, it's 5:00 PM." Luz reminds you.

"And?"

"Do you wanna play Pokemon instead?"

"Poke..mon?" You tilt your head.

"Ohh Y/N.. I'm about to introduce you to your new life." Luz shakes her head, opening something on the shrunken Switch. "This is Sword, but you can also play on my DS, I have like- a whole ton of other ones." She hands it to you, and you immediately become mesmerized by it.

"What's a Pokemon?"

"They're little animal things, you'll see." She says, and then turns to Hunter and Gus.

"Wait, I wanna play Pokemon!" Hunter says. "I have all the cards back.. oh come on!" He shouts.

"Haha, someone lost his pokie man cards!" Gus teases. "But I wanna play too!" 

"I'll be right back." Luz says, and rushes to her room. "Hi Willow, hi sweet potato, hi Vee! Bye!" She yells and then rushes back to the living room and flops on the couch, but you're too focused on your game to care. She hands something to Gus. "You can play Soul Silver." She nods. "Have fun."

"Wait, but-" Hunter interrupts. 

"Get the switch from Y/N later." Luz shrugs. You shake your head, your tongue sticking out the corner of your mouth.

"HA!" You shout. "Hop is so fucking weak." You laugh.

"I know right!" Luz exclaims. "He doesn't even get any better." 

"Y/N, it's my turn." Hunter groans.

"I haven't even had it for five minutes." You swat him away like a fly.

"Don't worry Hunter, if we can get a PS5 you can use it all you want." Luz suggests.

"A.. PS..5?" 

---

"Y/N.. it's my turn for Zelda." Hunter says, and you flip him off without hesitation, never taking your eyes off the switch.

"No, I'm about to beat the fighting gym!" You complain.

"But it's my turn, Luz said." 

"Well then go get her to come take it from me."

"She's asleep! It's midnight."

"Only midnight? I can beat this shit toni-"

"Y/NNNNNNNNN." 

"Fine!" You shout. "Lemme just save." You save your game and then reluctantly pass it to Hunter.

"Could you two be quiet?" Gus asked, not looking up from his DS, laying down on the couch.

"Don't worry Y/N, I'm gonna get myself a PS5 soon and then you can have this."

"But it's Luz's." You cross your arms.

"Yeah, cool, whatever." He waves you away and you flop down on your sleeping bag, ready to fall asleep.

---

A/N: I love how the first chapter of this book is basically just it's own dumb oneshot, but also WELCOME TO BOOK TWO :D

also HuntersPlaystation5 moment

A/N: hi hi this is huntersplaystation5 from the future and I meant to say BOOK THREE lmao