001 - A N I S A S A H A

Grey

 Grey.

Anisa drowned in grey.

The early morning chill didn't send its usual goosebumps down her skin. Rather, her skin blazed with fervent warmth. It was the kind of warmth that made sweat dribble down her forehead, made her core tremble, knotted her stomach and sent her heart racing. Sprinting down the familiar asphalt sidewalk, her breaths came out in short puffs. If anyone were to spot her they might've thought she was taking an early morning jog. A breathy chuckle escaped her chapped lips, deep in her cold bones she wished she was taking an early morning jog.

Her eyes were blurry and unfocused. Her heart pounded against her chest like a tiger leaping on its prey. The rapid thump of her heartbeat roared in her ears to the point it was the only thing she could hear. She gasped as her lungs tightened forcing her to inhale sharply. Her lungs tightened and tightened like a rope around her neck, at the same time, it made her heart pound harder. The greyness in her mind wrapped its arms around her, its grip frighteningly strong. Anisa never inhaled gasoline but she imagined if she did, it would feel like this. Swirling, hazy grey clouds filled her head, the cold grip dragging her to its darkest depths to the point each breath felt like breathing underwater.

Anisa was lost in the storm.

Lost and shattered, she didn't even attempt to claw her way out. Shakily, she examined her weary hands. Scattered lines ran deep on her skin as if they were telling a story of their own. Her skin devoid of any colour tried to remind her of happy memories.

There were moments in her life where breathing ceased to exist and became a task she was much too aware of.

Some days it was the hardest task she would ever do.

How can emptiness be so heavy? It came with no warning and hit her body like a truck, shocking her veins and draining her of everything she had. Anisa trembled, she was lonely in places she didn't even know existed within her. She didn't know if she was drowning in the waves of her feelings or if she was aching to feel. A shaky breath slipped from her quivering lips, she blinked at the glimmering ebony sky.

"Would you drown in the waves or die from thirst?" Anisa chewed her bottom lip, gazing at the sky in forlorn.

Rubbing her elbows, she stumbled down the sidewalk and almost tripped onto a bench. Anisa surveyed her surroundings. Wilson Park was the largest park in their neighbourhood. It ran alongside a small lake, people usually walked by the lake early in the morning or late in the afternoon. At night the park came to life, illuminated brilliantly, food carts lined up on the sidewalks. The atmosphere was perfect for a late-night stroll. She wished she came at night instead, it would've been nice to take a stroll along the lake. She dejectedly collapsed on a swing with a loud sigh. Her eyes wandered across the serene playground. The sun hadn't broken out yet from its ebony blanket so the park was submerged in a delicate cover of darkness. Here and there, the silhouettes of figures popped in and out of the park.