Prologue|His Story to be Told

Tenma Matsukaze was always an
optimistic, happy boy.

Thing is he's a man now. Things have
and will change over the course of time.

˚₊⁎

It's been 7 years ever since Tenma Matsukaze had graduated Senior High. Of course, it wasn't the same since. He was still in touch with his old friend, Kyousuke Tsurugi.

Can't say the same for the dead gamemaker, though.

Everyone in Raimon was crushed that day. Not to mention out of all the people to be accused with such; it'd be his own sibling, Saryuu.

And maybe they were right. It was painful.

He'd only have wished that he'll look at it differently. Because, for all he knew — they just wanted to celebrate their last win.

Until this day.. he can hear Kirino's sobs that night.. echoing painfully through his mind at the sight.

They didn't intend to lose Shindou, not at all.

˚₊⁎

The cold breeze hits Tenma as soon as he opens his windowsill, fog having accumulated across its glass. It was a rainy day, but that didn't stop the interning surgeon from humming his favorite tune as he dressed.

His girlfriend, Aoi, walked up to him to give him his daily morning kiss.. which he gladly accepted. It left a cheeky, yet small smile on his face.

"Good morning, my beloved." Tenma greeted, which left Aoi to smile back. "How is her highness on this fine morning?"

"You need to stop acting like I'm some sort of royal, y'know." Aoi responded, laughing.

"But you are to me."

"You're corny."

"I know. And yet you still love me." With a cheeky grin, Tenma says ever so softly.

While the couple continued to chat.. they can hear soft drops of water getting louder as they hit the roof of the apartment. Great, it was raining. Talk about shitty timing.

"Oh, don't worry about that. I bought umbrellas yesterday."

Aoi chimed in, pointing to the newly wrapped umbrellas which were hung by the door.

"What would I do without her consideration for the future?" Tenma thought to himself.

(You'd die. You'd crumple up into a ball on the floor, and die, Matsukaze. Yes, that was a Young Sheldon reference.)

As expected from a criminology student, Aoi is always observant of her surroundings. For a surgeon, though, Tenma Matsukaze was incredibly forgetful. Dangerously forgetful.

˚₊⁎

Tenma gazes at the framed photo in front of him, the familiar sight bringing back memories of their time together as a team from junior to senior high.

Raimon has always been more than just a group of friends, but a family to him. His bonds with each of them go beyond what words can encapsulate, leaving Tenma with a feeling of belonging and support that can only be found among people who share in each other's joy and pain. The whole team understood Tenma as he understood them — they were like each other's missing pieces, fitting together to form a whole.

With time, things change, and their interactions have grown fewer and farther apart. During his internship years, only a handful of his friends remained in contact with him. Among his former teammates, four names stood out in his heart — Kyousuke Tsurugi, Yuuichi Tsurugi, Kirino Ranmaru, and Hayami Tsurumasa — along with his beloved girlfriend. He cherished the memories of their time together and the unbreakable bonds they shared. They will forever remain a part of his heart, even though he no longer sees them often.

Of course, the memory of Shindou's death still haunted Tenma. He could still remember the sorrow that weighed heavily on everyone — friends, teammates, and even foes alike; the day they lost him. His unexpected passing left a gaping hole in their hearts that no one could fill, even to this day.

Tenma knew that toast of Shindou's was oddly out of place.

"Congratulations, everyone! Here's to everyone. Remember, I love and cherish all of you."

Tenma always thought that phrase was just part of Shindou's emotional nature.. but now, he might have thought of that as a warning sign of what might happen to the former captain. They were too late to get to that, though.

"Tenma! Are you listening?!"

Aoi's voice rang through Tenma's head immediately. This made him jolt back, almost making Tenma fall from his chair..

"Wh-What?!" The brunet exclaimed, sitting back upright from the shock.

"You have been zoning out for the past hour." Aoi says, deadpanned.

Shit.

"S-Sorry, I was.. uh, thinking about something." Tenma says, considering there was no lie in that phrase. He was thinking about something. but it's probably something Aoi knows already..

Aoi sighs. Was that of disappointment or pity? Maybe both?

"Tenma. Please, it's been five years," Aoi gently spoke, holding her boyfriend's hand from across the table. "You need to move on."

Move on, she said. Do you really expect THE Tenma Matsukaze to move on?