𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭 𝟏 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧

Dark and gloomy was the surrounding area. Mist filled to the ceiling of the room.

However, there was a clearing. Sure, it just started to form. That didn't matter.

It felt like the girl had no control over her legs. She stepped closer. She could hear distant humming. The hums came from a tall woman. A woman in a dark kimono with her hair tied up. Her hair was dark. Most of it was in a bun, some of it rested against her back.

The young girl could only get closer.

The humming only proceeded.

The woman's head starts to turn slowly. A white porcelain mask is what she wore. The younger female had no clue where the woman was looking. Was she looking down at her?

When she tried to get closer...

"Hahh!" A young girl gasps as she wakes up. She sat up on the open suitcase. Beads of sweat formed on her brow. She wipes her forehead, panting.

The girl's name was Six. 17 years old and surviving on her own.

The female sighs quietly. She gazes to her left side. A picture of this God forsaken ship was pinned. The Maw. A ship that appears once a year but never in the same place.

Six huffs, before getting up. She's learned to survive in this damned place. All she remembered last though was falling from a high place. How was she alive? She didn't know.

Her bare feet made contact with the cold metal. The floor was cold and wet. It sent shivers up her spine; her goosebumps rising. The teen shudders. She could see her breath. She dug into her pocket.

A sigh of relief escapes her lips.

"Good thing I have my lighter," She says below a whisper. She pulled out the cold and small object. The girl pushed the lid open, then flicked the lighter on. The small flame came to life, lighting the area around it.

She begun to walk around. She watched some water pour down the walls. Small puddles she would step in.

Six made her way down a hallway. The hall was dark, only illuminated by the lighter. Just barely though.

Squeaks was the difference in the silent atmosphere. The teen peers over her shoulder. Before she gazes ahead. She halts before an unlit lantern. Using her lighter, she lit the wick in the lantern.

She shut the lid to her lighter. She watched as the flame dances in the lantern. Her yellow hood slightly shadowing her face. Her dead gaze stares at the fire. She put the lighter into her raincoats pocket.

Slowly, she held out her hands. The warmth felt nice. Yet, she couldn't feel a difference in her own temperature. At least internally. Why was this? She had not an idea. She felt dead inside. As if her very soul was torn out of her.

Then again...

The girl tripped over her own feet. She tried to switch hiding places. She really did try. She stares into the eye sockets of the bag before her. The boy was under the bed. She reached out her hand, shouting his name.

She genuinely needed his help at that very moment. Yet... He never moved. Her heart dropped as she screamed when she was ripped from the floor. She saw some remains of herself where she once was.

From then on, she couldn't feel anything inside her. Not any proper feelings. Not even remorse.

Six sneers at the light. She remembered that moment very clearly. She was still mad and resented him. She saved him multiple times; why didn't he save her?

Instead, she started heading forward again. She went to a metal trapdoor. Six grabs hold of the handle, pulling on the door. It swung open, causing her to stumble back. She stops her stagger, trotting to it. She crawls into the opening.

Her skin made contact with the cold metal. Her crawls commenced. The teen girl pulled herself up a bump. She kept going forward until she felt droplets hit her coat. The female stood up, lifting her head. As she looks up, water droplets hit her face. She spat up some water, repositioning herself.

A light was shining down this specific hole. Six hums to herself, thinking.

She jumps up, hands sliding down the cold and wet metal. She jumped more, before finally getting a better grip. Her feet were tightly pressed against one side. Her back was pressed against the wall behind her. She started shimmying her way up the vent. Her goal was solely focused on going up.

She didn't want to stay down here forever. It was cold. Not as cold as her non-existent soul, though.

She'll escape this prison though. Six vowed to escape the place.