CHAPTER NINE

Phase two began bright and early the following weekend. The castle was still quiet when Amara and Juliet parted ways, each heading off to fulfill their respective tasks. In just a few short hours, they would rendezvous in the Prefects' bathroom with everything they needed to execute their plan. It was a pivotal moment, and both were acutely aware of the stakes involved.

The Great Hall was abuzz with activity as the next Quidditch match loomed on the horizon. Students streamed in, chattering animatedly about the upcoming game. The noise was a blessing for Amara and Juliet, allowing them to discuss their final preparations with a semblance of privacy amidst the chaos.

Juliet, who had barely touched her plate of bacon, looked up with a determined expression. "Right," she said with a nod, her voice firm despite the early hour. "I'll head to the greenhouse to get the knotgrass and the leaping toadstool cap. They should be easy enough to find."

"And I'll handle the cherries, spiders, and the equipment," Amara responded, taking a final bite of her toast and wiping her hands clean. Her mind was already racing through the list of items she needed to gather.

Juliet glanced around the bustling hall. "Everyone will clear out soon to watch the game, and then it'll be a piece of cake!"

Amara's confidence wavered slightly as the sun began its ascent over the horizon. "You know," she said, her voice softening as she reached across the table to take Juliet's hand in hers, "you don't have to do this. You can still back out."

Juliet met her gaze with a look of resolve. "I know, I know," she said, her voice steady. "But Amara, I just feel... useful for once. It's like I finally have a purpose."

Amara's brow furrowed in concern. "Juliet, it's not a good thing." She gulped, her thoughts drifting to the unpleasant memory of her father's first assignment. The memory was vivid and unwelcome, the weight of it pressing down on her.

"I know." Juliet's voice was tinged with a hint of sadness. "I understand that what we're doing isn't exactly noble. It's not what I had imagined for myself. But if it helps you, then I'm willing to do it."

"You don't have to do this, if you don't want to. That's okay. There are no consequences if you back out now," Amara offered, her tone gentle but firm.

Juliet squeezed Amara's hand, her resolve unwavering. "Not for me."

A shiver ran down Amara's spine as memories of her own task, her brother's failure, and her father's punishment resurfaced, battling for dominance in her mind. The past had a way of creeping up when least expected.

Just then, Renato approached their table, his presence interrupting the conversation. "Coming to watch the game?" he asked, his tone casual but with an edge of mischief. "Should be a good one, lots of gore."

"Slytherin versus Hufflepuff, is it?" Amara asked, trying to divert her thoughts from the troubling memories.

Renato nodded enthusiastically. "It will be a bloodbath."

"I hope so," added Abraxas, appearing at Renato's side. Nova followed closely behind him, her face set in a scowl. "It keeps it entertaining."

Amara rolled her eyes slightly, trying to mask her discomfort. "Not so much for me, or, you know, the Hufflepuffs."

Nova's eyes gleamed with a predatory glint. "Those blood traitors will get what's coming for them. If Slytherin happens to be the ones to deliver it, that's fine by me."

"Well, give them hell from us then," Juliet said, her tone lighter now. She paused as if searching for the right words. "We'll be doing..." She hesitated, as though she were thinking. "Anything other than watching."