Show Me

"Show me." He said, his eyes brooding but soft. "Take me to your world." He finished as he squeezed the young human girl's arms softly, pleadingly.

"I-I don't want to." Mae muttered, her voice high and saddened.

"Why not." The ElvenKing furrowed his brows but his voice grew only softer.

"Because, you will be disappointed." Mae sighed, and spoke truthfully, then continued when Thranduil's face contorted slightly in confusion.

"My home is not grand, there are no dining halls, no servants, no treasures. I do not own a lick of gold, my den is mediocrely furnished, and there is only one bedroom." Mae nearly stumbled over her own words once or twice but she wanted to get this off of her chest. She wanted him to know the truth of her ever so humble origins. She stared down at her feet, knowing in her heart that the great King Thranduil would not keep interest in what he now knew to be a simpleton. Such is the nature of a King.

And yet, Mae suddenly felt long fingers brush her chin and guide it upwards. Blue orbs reflected off one another as both of the beings gazed into the other's eyes.

"Mae, you underestimate your worth to me." Thranduil began, his hand never leaving her chin, fore finger stroking her jaw in slow caresses.

"I would not care if you called a wooden barrel home, so long as you were happy in it." He stated and Mae winced. The king noticed.

"What bothers you, Meleth nîn?" He questioned, his words from just moments ago, coming back to him.

"You are happy, aren't you?"

Mae blanched. She didn't want to lie to him, and tell him she loved it where she came from, and yet she couldn't find it in herself to complain. It wasn't in her to seek for pity.

Thranduil knew what Mae was doing, he knew she was a concealer of emotions, and he knew by the look in her eyes that she was not happy with her home, but he was also aware that she was a stickler for manners and would never complain about anything, even if her discomfort was obvious.

"You know," murmured Thranduil, his hands moving behind his back and clasping together, "the halls of my kingdom are always open to you, should you wish to make permanent residence here." Thranduil didn't see the sparks of pure elation that flittered through Mae's eyes, but he continued in words that Mae thought she would never hear him say.

"You could stay with me. You could be my Queen." Thranduil floored Mae with that little piece of information, her mouth dropping open as her eyes widened.

"Are you serious?" Mae whispered, her voice failing in her surprise. Thranduil eyed her from below his lashes and smirked.

"I am dead serious." He said, using a phrase he'd heard Mae use countless times.

With a small squeal, Mae slammed into Thranduil in a chest-crushing hug. Thranduil was taken aback by the sudden contact, but he smiled and gave his best embrace back, resting his chin on her head.

When she pulled away, he took her hands.

"I suppose I'll need to gather my things." Mae said, looking at their interlocked fingers, her's much smaller than his. She sighed, giving into his earlier request.

"Would you like to come with me and help?"

Thranduil's lips twitched up and his hands squeezed hers.

"Of course." He said to her, a small grin now playing on his lips. Mae, nervous as she was, could not help but smile too.

"All right then," She chimed, trying to calm her nerves forcefully, "let's do this."

And with that, and a low order from Thranduil to one of his guards that Legolas was in charge while he was "away on business", they were off, destination set for another world.

Walking through the halls, the two beings were careful to seem casual. They were taking a path that was seldom used, save for prominent Guards and Royalty, however, to ere on the side of caution, Mae kept her pace just a tad faster than the Kings. Should anyone know of the possibility to pass into another realm, who knows what would happen. It was only due to her strong feelings for Thranduil that he himself knew, otherwise, not even he, the king, would have been granted that knowledge. Therefore, to remain mostly inconspicuous, and to seem nonchalant, was key.

Corner after corner the two rounded until finally, they came upon a lone path through a patch of trees.

"The back entrance?" Thranduil mused, mostly to himself. For so long, this part of the kingdom of Mirkwood had been unused. It was the private exit which he had ordered to be made just after the War of Wrath so long ago, should something threaten the welfare of the kingdom, and another escape come to be needed. It was built to look like the wall of large rock from the outside looking in but a crack behind a large tree, closed off by a heavy stone door, served as the escape. The two beings passed through with ease as the stone door opened into a private patch of grass in the forest.

Mae sighed heartily as the sick darkness of Mirkwood came crashing into her. Thranduil took her hand in his, almost apologetically, as his homeland put strain on the one he loved. Yet, still, they pushed on through the trees, both doing their best to ignore the foul feeling closing in around them.

After a quick walk including a particularly tough time getting through an area of dense thicket, Thranduil's eyebrows furrowed at the sight before him as Mae stopped abruptly and put her hands on her hips.

"You don't mind getting a bit wet, do you?" She tried to stifle a giggle at the look in Thranduil's eyes. He wasn't one to show emotion but in that moment, he looked a bit confused and surprised at the sight of a small, glowing pond before him. Gathering himself once more, the king shed his robe and lay it over a tree limb, standing now in just his silver tunic, trousers, and boots.

"Lead the way." He said, his hands clasping behind his back out of habit. Mae smiled, happy that he obliged, and walked to the edge of the water pool, Thranduil trailing closely behind her. Mae paused briefly, before reaching for Thranduil's hand, which he offered immediately, and then she pulled him in.

Deeper and deeper she pulled him, until both of their heads were far below the surface, their feet touching the bottom, and suddenly, a blackness over took them.

Thranduil felt as if he was falling. It was almost as if the world itself had been yanked from under their feet and they were plummeting through pitch black, wet space. Had Mae not been there, her hold on his hands never faltering, Thranduil knew he would have sworn he had drowned. But not once did Mae's grip loosen, and pretty soon, the sensation of falling stopped altogether. Thranduil opened his eyes.