🩷 || LOOK AT ME

• Prompt: "I wish you would just look at me for two seconds."
• Word Count: 1487
• Warnings: female!reader, fluff, slight angst

" • Word Count: 1487• Warnings: female!reader, fluff, slight angst

You'd never felt more embarrassed in your whole life. You'd never done something so stupid before but then again, you'd never been that drunk either. You hadn't meant to drink so much but when people were handing you shots left right and centre, you just kept downing them... and downing them... until the next thing you knew you'd snuck into the kitchen of Molly's behind Otis and you kissed him.

You kissed Otis. What the hell had you been thinking, allowing yourself to be so open like that? You always knew you liked him. You liked him a lot. He was cute. Funny. You couldn't count the amount of times you'd dreamt about him, but you never thought you'd ever do anything about it, not when he'd never so much as given you a hint that he liked you back. And to make matters worse, it appeared as though he didn't as the second your lips touched his, he pushed you away.

The second you felt his hands on your shoulders. The second the words 'what the hell are you doing?' left his lips, you knew you'd gone and royally fucked up beyond repair. You couldn't even look at him. Couldn't be near him. The entire shift afterwards you'd avoided him. If he was in the bunk room, you went to the common room. If he was in the common room, you went to the bunk room. Hell, at one point you even sat in the bullpen with Connie and helped her do paperwork as a way to get away from him.

You couldn't believe you'd allowed yourself to be so stupid and ruin what the two of you had. You'd always been close. Best friends really and yet you'd allowed yourself to get so drunk that you couldn't seem to repress your feelings for him anymore. You tried to act like you didn't remember it but you did. How could you forget the way he so blatantly shot you down, breaking your heart in the process. No, you felt ridiculed. Disgusted with yourself. Full of regret. And honestly, you were very tempted to hand in a pink slip just so you could transfer out of fifty-one altogether.

You knew there was no getting out of this one. No way to laugh it off and pretend it didn't mean anything, even though to you it did. Which is why instead of sleeping like everyone else, you were sitting outside on the firehouse apron, wondering whether or not you should hand in that pink slip that you'd hidden away at the back of your locker. As at this point, that seemed like the only answer.

The air outside was crisp and cold. The moonlight shone brightly as you stared up at the cloudless sky, watching the subtle twinkle of the stars above you. You always loved quiet nights at the firehouse, when you were able to just forget all your worries and watch the stars, a lot of the times with Otis as he often joined you. But tonight was different.

Instead of having Otis by your side, he was in your head. His words were rattling around inside your mind, one that was supposed to be empty right now to allow you to enjoy the peace and quiet. But you couldn't stop yourself from thinking of him. No matter how hard you tried to forget what had happened, you couldn't seem to manage. And each time you thought about it, you were just reminded about the fact that he didn't like you back.

"I thought I'd find you out here." Otis's hushed voice made you tense as you sat against the pillar, wishing you'd chosen a different spot as this was usually the place you'd sit with him.

You didn't say anything as your neck straightened, your eyes now focusing on the shrubbery in front of you rather than the stars. You could see Otis moving into your peripheral vision but you didn't dare look at him, not if you wanted to keep the pieces of your heart that were left whole.

"You've been avoiding me." Otis said softly, making your stomach churn as you thought you'd been subtle in doing so, but it turns out you hadn't. Especially not when you walked into the common room, spotted him behind the grill and then slowly backed away before running to the opposite side of the firehouse. Now that you remembered it, you were pretty sure everyone noticed that.

"No I haven't." You replied, voice low and full of embarrassment as you wished he'd just leave you alone. You couldn't bring yourself to have to talk about what happened, not when it was still so fresh.

"Barely looked at me either." He added, ignoring your pathetic excuse of a defence. "Not since the other night. At Molly's."

"Don't." Your breath trembled at the thought of him bringing that up right now. Your chest already began to ache over it and if he said anything else, you knew you'd never be able to hold in the tears that fought so furiously to escape. "I don't... I don't want to talk about that okay? Ever. It was a mistake. One that I wished never happened."

"Was it a mistake? Because I know you and if it had been... You'd have simply laughed it off instead of avoiding me all day." Otis replied, moving to stand in front of you as he needed you to look at him, but instead you simply turned your head to the side, making him sigh in defeat.

"It was a mistake. A drunken mistake. Okay? I said I wished it never happened, so would you just quit bringing it up."

"You know what I wish for?" He whispered, crouching down before you. You stayed silent, shuffling a little on the spot as the thought of him so close to you was almost too much to bear. "I wish you would just look at me for two seconds."

Your breath hitched at his words and you swallowed back the lump that was beginning to rise in your throat. It took you a good few seconds to muster up the courage to look at him, and when you did, you very nearly broke down in front of him.

"I'm sorry." You said so quietly he just about heard you. You wiped at your eyes, a choked sob escaping your lips, one that tugged on Otis's heart as all he wanted to do was hug you. "I didn't mean to kiss you."

"Didn't you?" He said softly, tilting your head up to look at him again after it had fallen forwards. "Because the way you're acting now, makes me seem like you did." His hand moved to cup your face, which you allowed to linger there for a second before you pushed away from him and got to your feet.

"Don't." You exhaled, folding your arms over your chest. "Don't act as though you feel the same way about me... Not with how you reacted when I kissed you."

"Y/N, I only reacted that way because you took me by surprise." Otis chuckled softly, causing you to furrow your brow as you turned back to look at him. "And truthfully, it took me a second to realise it was you who'd kissed me. And once I did, well you'd already run off."

"What-What are you saying?" You hiccuped, hope slowly filling your aching chest.

"I'm saying..." Otis began, moving cautiously towards you. His hand lifted slowly and when you didn't back up or swat it away, he set it gently aside your face once again. "If you hadn't avoided me all day, then I'd have been able to do this much sooner."

He leaned in, his lips brushing softly over yours which had your heart racing beneath your chest before they firmly planted against them. You almost couldn't believe what was happening. Couldn't believe he was actually kissing you. And the way it felt? The way Otis was so gentle. So loving. The way his lips moved slowly against yours, with so much care that you could barely feel the roughness of his moustache on your skin. It was everything you could have ever dreamed it would be. And more.

His arm slinked around your waist, pulling you closer to him as your own arms wrapped around his neck, your fingers threading themselves through his hair. You'd never had a kiss quite like it before. One that had your stomach flutter so furiously you thought it would fly away. That had your spine tingle and goosebumps erupt all over your skin at the mere touch of his lips. And when he pulled back. When he rested his forehead against yours, staring deeply, lovingly, into your eyes. It was safe to say that you were in a much different daze than you had been all day.

-
if you'd like to request a prompt then head over to my tumblr: zvonecekotis to find a list of prompts i accept!