Chapter 9

BRIELLE

“BB!” I hear my little sister and spot her pink hair right as she comes out of the luggage claim. I really hate that she’s away at college, but I love that she’s out doing what she wants and getting a good education. Not to say that I didn’t get an education, but I just got a two-year degree. Britt got a four-year degree and now that is what Bev is doing too.

“BEV!” She crashes into me and I share a nice long hug with my little sister. “Love the shade this time!” I say, running my hand over her baby-pink hair.

Growing up she hated her blonde hair and always wanted to dye it. Mom and Dad finally decided one summer in middle school that she could. She went through every color of the rainbow and finally at the end of summer put in a permanent pink color. Mom and Dad were so pissed because it wouldn’t come out, from that moment on she’s always had pink hair.

Of the three of us, she had the lightest shade of blonde, so any pink color was noticeable. I was kind of jealous since my blonde hair didn’t take color near as well.

“Thanks, I just got it done a couple of days ago. I got it cut a little short than usual too.”

“I noticed,” I play with her long bob once again, “It first you, gosh it would be weird if you didn’t have pink hair at this point.”

“Please tell me that we can stop and get something to eat before we hit the road. I was a little late showing up to the airport and didn’t get the chance to buy any snacks.”

I take the handle to her rolling suitcase and loop my arm through hers with my other, “We can stop wherever you want, sis. I’m just happy to have you back for a little bit.”

“I’m happy to be back too!”

Bev picks a fast food burger joint for lunch, but we don’t take too long to eat. The drive back to the ranch is a few hours and I’m already exhausted from making the one-way trip. So anything At least I have some company this time and I get to update Bev on all the fun going on while she’s been gone. “So anything crazy going on at the ranch lately?”

“Not really. We did get new guests in today. Britt said their requests weren’t bad. They have a few kids so they want to go sledding since we’re expecting snow tomorrow.”

“Oh, that would be fun. They should go out behind the bunkhouses.” There was a decent-sized slope from the bunkhouses to the horse pasture. It was prime real estate for sledding.

“That’s probably where we’ll send them unless their kids are little. I didn’t ask Britt their ages.”

“Now I kind of want to go sledding too. I miss the snow.”

Bev goes to school in the south. The weather is mild in the winter, so she doesn’t have to worry about the snow, but all those fun winter activities she doesn’t get to do until she comes home for break.

“We should ask Granger if he’ll hook up the four-wheeler to a sled.”

Bev laughed, “Like the good ole days?”

“We’re older now, so he’ll say yes, right?” I chuckled, recalling a very specific memory.

“How old were you guys, like ten?” Bev asked.

“Probably something along those lines. I still remember he thought Mom was going to fire him when Brooke had her arm bending in the wrong direction.” I cringe remembering Britt’s broken arm. It was the only time I remember Mom yelling at Granger. My dad yelled at him all the time, but Mom always had a soft spot for that guy.