Chapter 38 - Wilderness (6)

Zhang Xun and Adam waited in the abandoned mine for about two hours before carefully squeezing through a crevice in the collapsed rock into a nearby tunnel.

The Feathered Serpent City mechanical dogs had disappeared and the entire mine tunnel was pitch black, with only the occasional sound of dripping water, as if no one had set foot here for a long time.

The light from the flashlight could only tear apart the limited darkness in front of them. Zhang Xun followed Adam as he turned into a fork in the road again and then turned several more times. When they were running away they were forced into chaos and Zhang Xun had long forgotten which paths they had taken, but Adam seemed to remember them all clearly. As long as he walked through it once, the structural map of the underground mine in his database would naturally unfold and would never be erased. This was beyond the reach of the human brain.

Never forgetting any details, all memories, good or bad, could be recalled at any time.

Adam roughly calculated the possible location of the entrance to the Feathered Serpent City's base based on the distribution of the mechanical dogs. There were three possibilities and they need to be verified one by one.

"Based on the positions of the mechanical dogs we encountered two hours ago, their current position can be roughly calculated based on their patrol algorithm. Right now the closest mechanical dog to us is about twenty to fifty metres to the right of the horizontal tunnel ahead of us. It's moving to the left, but after passing our fork, it will turn back after about twenty metres. After that it has to walk another hundred and fifty metres before turning back. After it turns back, we will slip into the tunnel on the left. It's better to take off our boots and not make any noise."

Sometimes Adam would come over, sticking to Zhang Xun's ear and detailing every step of his plan. Zhang Xun also, as he had promised, completely believed in Adam and acted according to Adam's instructions and they indeed managed to avoid at least five patrolling mechanical dogs. The two passed through the long tunnel like shadows, even holding their breath, and sometimes Adam would stop to let Zhang Xun catch his breath.

Apparently, Adam had already calculated the intervals that Zhang Xun needed to rest in his plan.

Luckily for them, after ruling out one guessed location, at the second location, a sloping mine tunnel, they found a metal cover with a fingerprint lock on it.

Adam activated the option to enter a password and then quickly entered a long, seemingly incoherent 60-letter password. Obviously that was the secret key that Eden had left in all the combination locks produced in these post-Eden times, the all powerful key that no human could crack. Sure enough, the combination lock silently turned green and the metal door quickly opened to both sides, revealing a ladder extending down into the darkness.

Adam went down first, followed by Zhang Xun. After a while, they entered a very wide underground space.

It was a long, huge corridor with a height of a hundred metres, hollowed out from the entire mountainside. A row of white fluorescent lighting rings spread out along the arc of the tunnel, illuminating everything clearly. There was a flat runway on the ground and two aircraft the same as they had seen before were parked on one side of the runway. In addition, there were many giant mechas, which were supported by metal brackets. Those mechs were very different from their Lost Paradise counterparts, many were not in humanoid form, but closer to a combination of certain beasts. The gleam of metal swept along the smooth lines, and sharp thorns rushed into the air along the spines. There were powerful claws that could easily tear apart any metal, eyes that could shoot death rays and other weapons all over the body. They were brilliant, yet terrifying.