13 | responsibility

"YOU MUST NOT speak of your gifts once we go inside

"YOU MUST NOT speak of your gifts once we go inside." Rook told the others as they sailed up to the saloon.

He docked the ship rather crooked, unaccustomed to the grand size of it. Indy dropped the anchor into the turquoise waters, mooring the Queen's ship in place.

There were only two other vessels docked at The Smelly Squid—a merchant ship unloading goods, and Rook's longtail. He was glad to see it still intact, and glad for the afternoon lull in patrons.

He took note the ship the old man had disembarked from that morning was not present. Good—not for Rook, but for the old man. Whoever he was, if Rook ever saw him again, he would strangle him.

"Are you listening, Indy? The gifted have been disappearing, lately. You need to be careful."

"Why would they be disappearing?" Indy was in a rush to leave the ship. He wasn't meeting Rook's stare now.

"Did you hear what I said?" he grabbed his brother by the shoulder and shook him, "Under no circumstance will you use or speak of your gift around others."

Indy pushed him off, but Rook grabbed him again. He held him at the collar, and waited for Indy to meet his stare, "Don't be foolish, little brother."

"You can't tell me what to do."

"I'm telling you to keep your head on straight, that's all."

"Once we're off this ship, it's every man for himself," Indy spat.

He wobbled a straight line down a wooden plank, onto the dock, and made a beeline for the saloon. Rook lingered with Luana and Kitty.

"Do not use your powers."

"We heard you," Kitty complained, "You said it, like, seven times. Some of us can't exactly hide it." She blinked her feline eyes at him to make her point.

"Indy hides his," Rook shrugged, "You could learn a thing or two from him."

"You," Rook looked at Luana, "Don't blow anyone up. And you," his gaze shot to Kitty, "Keep your clothes on. I hate to say it, but you don't want to be sending the wrong message in there."

Kitty narrowed her cat eyes at him, "Noted."

"