Chapter 2

"I don't know if others will accept her," I sighed, leaning back on the seat, my phone perched on the shoulder, talking with my two brothers

My eyes briefly went towards the teenage girl, who was sleeping silently. She looks tired and I haven't had the heart to wake up and tell her that she can rest in room. 

"They have reason to hate her," Lucas shot.

"But it isn't her fault," Victor advised calmly. "I can bet that she doesn't even know anything," he added.

"I don't know," I sighed, wiping my face with my palm. "Maybe she doesn't know but once they see her, they'll definitely explode. I had talked with Juliet but she said she's fine but I know she isn't. What about Ryle? I don't want him to have a nightmare again or anything " I reasoned with them.

"Give them some time, Carter. They're not kids anymore. They'll understand" Victor replied.

I had always listened to Victor because he always had points and more experience.

"Did she know about the mafia?" Lucas asked.

"No," I replied. "I had talked to Maria, her mother, a week ago. I was surprised when she emailed me and asked for a meeting. Apparently there's local gang who were demanding money and something her fucker husband had stolen. She was worried about Zahra. She had filed complaint in police but they had taken no action so that's why she contacted me"

"Did you find out what was going on?" Lucas asked, subtly curious.

"No. I had sent my men but they had already been located out. But there's something else that I want to talk to" I gave a brief glance at Zahra, who is still sleeping heavily. 

"What is it?" Victor asked.

"I have seen Eve and Zade's file there. I don't think it's a coincidence. It might be before the war but I have doubts that they might know about them" I can hear victor's heavy sigh.

"I had taken them with me and burned the place for now. And-" I stopped.

"And-" Lucas prided.

"I just didn't take Zahra's custody, I adopted her. If people are after her then they'll go to any end if she remains Zahra Wilson."

"That's a good decision " Victor answers but Lucas remains silent.

"Come on luc-sy, blurt it out" I half teased my brother even though anxiety bubbled in me.