GRADUAND

SAMANTHA'S POV

       "I'm back mom" I said as I flung my bag to the sofa and head straight to my mother's room. She was busy on her laptop, I hugged her tightly,  "welcome dear"  she replied loosing from my grip, she kissed my forehead . I sat on her bed nervous," Mum how was my WAEC result? Did I pass? I heard its out and most of my schoolmates have checked theirs....." she cut me in with a sweet smile, my mum's smiles were so reassuring, her white teeth and little lips. She was very pretty. "  Calm down sweetie, you just arrived and you haven't freshened up", It wasn't time to freshen up, this was the outcome of my hard work of six years, I was nervous and scared inside,' 'mathematics ' is my only fear, what if I get a 'D'? God forbid!                                                                              After further persuasions, she agreed, "you made me proud, Sammy, you did your best" bringing her file, "come on mum, every parent is proud of her child even in failures" I stood up now, pacing up and down the room, "here " giving me my WAEC result, I took it immediately looking for a 'D' but found none, "yes!" I screamed, I passed Mathematics!                                                          I worked down to the small room I share with my younger sister, I was so exhausted, "thank you God I didn't just make it in my JAMB but also in my WAEC" I was giggling and changing my wears when my little sister, Jasmine woke up, she yawned, "welcome Sammy" I smiled at her "hey kid". she was just thirteen years old, a science student in her first year in senior secondary school, she was a brilliant talkative and was very blunt and straightforward  although at times sounds rude, not minding whoever you are she stands up for what she believes is right, she always says that if she is silent she won't be seen." Babe, do you have any remaining provision from school? I swear down, I haven't eaten any thing since this afternoon, am fucking Hungry....ah, I feel worms tweaking and biting my intestine" ,she said.  I looked towards her direction and my heart sunk because I didn't bring much, "yeah" I replied pulling down my box, " but its only garri and sugar, Jay "I added. "what else would I be asking for? you make me laugh Sammy, is there any reasonable stuff you took to school apart from these, I really thank God at least there is sugar" She grabs it happily, " I wonder how come you saved these, when you are not even fed well in school, anyways thanks.. Sammy"  Putting on my favorite color which was white and black, am a big fan of neutral colors...life no stress, they were singing my best song on radio FM so it was a moment to flow not minding the hunger inside. Looking at the old clock beside the TV set, it was five o'clock,  in the  next  thirty minutes Dad would be back. The song was over now I shut  my mouth and looked around, my tummy grumbled, I forgot to mention, I had a very nice voice, yeah...I could sing but that's not the matter now, my tummy was the one doing what my throat was to be doing. I have to get used to this new change and believe all will be well. We only ate twice a day now in other to be able to raise money not just for mom to travel but for my schooling. My course was quiet an expensive one, Law. I just pray I get an admission in other to drag my family out of this hardship...when will this shit really stop, my parents worked day after day but nothing came by, I just pray mom is making the right decision of travelling abroad. I believe God is good even when life is not.