[1]

Thursday, May 24, 1984 - on the streets of Hawkins

With a big smile on my face and the pleasantly cool breeze in my hair, I drove through the empty streets of Hawkins. The sky was clear, the sun was really blazing down on the small town and it was finally Thursday. The weekend was fast approaching and I couldn't wait to just be free for a short time to do whatever I felt like.

The next song on my cassette tape played and my smile, which was almost over both ears anyway, grew even wider. The rhythm and the melody put me in a good mood every time and today, on this sunny, warm day, it fit perfectly. I turned the music up louder, drummed the beat of the song on the steering wheel with my hands and sang to myself without a care in the world.

In the distance, I could see Hawkins High. There gathered all the stereotypes you've come to know and love. The popular jocks, the pretty and sexually desperate cheerleaders, the nerds and their 'best' friends the bullies, the misfits, the normies and... me.
I didn't really fit into any one division. While I am one of the smarter heads at Hawkins High, I am not ridiculed for it. Oddly enough, I got along very well with everyone (or at least a large portion of them) and always tried to spread my good humor to the others and help out where I could.

Shaking my head, I ran my fingers through my hair. I'm thinking about school again, and I still had plenty of time before it really started.
Briskly and deftly, I turned into the high school parking lot and parked my car expertly in one of the spaces. The song was still on full volume. I decided without further ado that the seriousness of life could wait a bit longer, so I stayed in the car and continued to sing along to the song, trying to dance as best I could in the tight space. A knock on the roof of my car pulled me out of my world.

"Little Eva. For real?", I heard the sarcastic voice of my best friend. Steve 'The Hair' Harrington.

I turned the music down a bit and leaned out my window a bit.

"What? Puts you in a good mood...", I replied to him with a grin, closed the window, pulled the car key out of the lock and got out.
"Not everyone can have such unique taste in music as I do."

Steve grinned, folded his arms, and leaned against my car. He let his gaze wander over the parking lot as I ducked back into the car to grab my bag and pack up a few more books that slipped out on the drive.

"Yeah... And you're drawing attention with that too..."

With a questioning look, I shouldered my bag, slammed my door and locked it. I noticed that Steve had his eyes on someone and didn't even think about looking away again. I followed his stare and looked straight into curious blue eyes.

From one second to the next I felt my heart beat faster and my palms started to sweat. Undeterred by the girls walking past him and his infamous blue Camaro at a conspicuously slow pace, he took a drag on his cigarette and broke our eye contact.
If I said I didn't find him extremely attractive and I didn't get nervous around him, I would be lying straight out. I wasn't really a fan of his, was disgusted with how he treated some people or how he was out to sleep with really every girl in this town, but by god... that look....

"I hope you brought a spare pair of panties...", I heard my best friend chuckle as he pushed himself off my car. Outraged and embarrassed, I looked at him and slapped his upper arm.

"Steven!"

"Hey!" he laughed, just shrugging his shoulders.
"He thought it was funny, too, apparently..."

With another questioning look, I looked back over at Billy to find him grinning and shaking his head, tossing his cigarette to the ground.
I could feel the heat rising in my face. Before Hargrove noticed anything, I averted my eyes from him again.

"You're really impossible!", I just muttered and walked quickly towards the school building.

"Oh come on Amy!"