Chapter 7-Ghosts in the past and present

The Konoha twelve with their Senseis and the sand trio stood before Tsunade and Shizune in the HQ tent.

"The sound four's reappearance has throw an unexpected wrench into our works. Each member on their own is a force to be reckoned with. We must remove them before they can cause more damage. Naruto has already taken care of Kidomaru. That only leaves Tayuya, Jirobo and Sakon and Ukon to be dealt with."

Lee raised his hand, "lady Tsunade. If I may."

Tsunade nodded her approval for Lee to speak.

"There was another member of the sound four. The one with the ability to manipulate his bones. Kimimaro."

"Well noted my youthful student," Gai said proudly.

"Yes, well noted." Tsunade agreed, "Since there are ninja here who have fought the sound four before, they will be charged with assembling teams to take out the enemy have fought previously. You may choose anyone who is best suited to deal with their selected enemy's skills."

Shikamaru groaned, Choji gulped and Kiba shuddered.

"As we don't know if Kimimaro has been revived, Lee will also assemble a team," Tsunade continued, "Shikamaru, Kiba, Choji, Lee; I will expect a report as to your choice of team-mates before you are deployed. Remember that the sound four said they have been enhanced by Orochimaru, so be on your guard. Dismissed."

The Shinobi and Kunoichi filled out of the tent and dispersed, going back to their various duties.

"Your first command my youthful student," Gai bellowed as he and lee walked away, "this is a momentous day!"

"I will not disappoint you Gai-Sensei!" Lee yelled back.

Naruto groaned as he and Sasuke went looking for food.

"I hope I'm not on his team," Sasuke muttered as the pair reached the mess tent.

"Same here," Naruto agreed.

After Sasuke and Naruto had gotten food they found an out of the way spot to eat.

"Hey Sasuke," Naruto said around a mouthful of food, "what actually happened in the valley of the end during our second fight?"

Sasuke stopped eating, "you don't remember?"

Naruto shook his head, "the fox took control so I don't know what happened."

"The simple version is you went three tails and beat the hell out of me."

They fell silent again, Naruto's guilt stopping him eating. Sasuke noted his expression.

"In hindsight, I think I needed some sense beaten into me," he gave Naruto a small smile.

Naruto's face brightened slightly and he started eating again. Sasuke looked up into the pale sky as he finished his meagre rations.

"Once I'd healed, Tsunade tossed me in a cell and threatened me with punishments beyond imagination." Sasuke continued, "Many involving letting the villagers loose on me, as you can understand after my desertion I wasn't best popular. But she eventually decided just to let the Konoha twelve minus you at me."