Friday, 1:19 am

Charlie stomped away with seemingly no intention of ever looking back at his former mentor. He didn't even look when he cast a Levitation Charm to bring Doru's body with him.

Neither Hermione nor Charlie said a word on their way to where the Aurors conducted their investigation. Not that there was much for them to do; all the puzzle pieces had been handed to them. Now it was the Aurors' turn to recreate the picture Hermione and Draco had already assembled and make sure that justice was served.

Charlie cancelled the Levitation Charm and dropped the most critical puzzle piece at two Aurors' feet. "I believe this is the culprit you're looking for."

Julia, Markus, and Aurel gawked. The Aurors looked equally bewildered.

"Isn't this Doru Pichler, the senior dragon keeper you told us was Confunded alongside the other night patrol members?"

Charlie folded his arms. "Confunded, yes, but I expect that when you get a testimony out of him, it'll come out that Doru first Confunded Markus and Aurel, then used that time to steal the horn before Confunding himself to avoid suspicions. And instead of coming to Verdell to get checked at the hospital like we all thought, he came to meet up with the Seven Brothers."

The Aurors hounded him with follow-up questions but Charlie deflected them all. His intentions set on Julia as he pulled her in for a kiss, long and hard. It was the kiss of a man who had no doubts about his feelings and needed to make that clear.

When they broke, Julia blinked at him, confused, but not one trace upset. "What was that for?"

"I'll explain later." Charlie cupped both sides of her jaw. "But I need you to know how right you were for never trusting Doru and how relieved I am that you're safe."

The internal knots Hermione had let loose immediately retightened. Julia may have been safe from Doru's attempt to frame her, but Draco was somewhere getting treated for his injury, ultimate safety still unknown.

"Miss Granger?" The shorter of the two Aurors stood before her. "I'm Auror Stoica. We require your account of this week's events."

She only part-considered Auror Stoica's request. Her eyes roamed the nearly nonexistent crowd, desperate for a glimpse of white blond hair.

"Where's Draco?" she asked, neck craned and tiptoes raised. He wasn't where she'd left him with the Healer. He wasn't standing either. "Shouldn't we give our accounts together?"

She needed some sort of assurance that he was okay. What if the Stasis Charm didn't work on that curse? What if it was getting worse? What if, at this moment, he was slipping into critical condition and she hadn't been there? Had spent this time with Charlie, and Doru, and—

"He's been transported back to the Sanctuary where specialised Dark Arts Healers are treating him," the other Auror said.

Hermione felt momentary relief. It wasn't confirmation that he was healed, but it meant that Draco was being treated by experts. People who could help him more than she ever could. Yet that knowledge did little to ease her remorse that she wasn't by his side or, more regretfully, the one being treated. He had taken that spell for her. She should be the one the Healers were monitoring. The one who currently had her flesh split open, the curse threatening to dig deeper.

Hermione straightened her spine. "I want to see him."

"Auror Vulpe and I are under strict orders that we need your statement first," Stoica said. His voice was even, matter-of-fact. "But I'll see what I can arrange after."

Behind her, Charlie was listening. Julia, Markus, and Aurel, too.

Aurel rested a hand on her shoulder. "We'll get back to the Sanctuary and make sure he's all right," he assured her.