Prologue

4 year ago, Village of Australis, South of the Queen's Palace.

Plague and death. Two words Snowdrift hates. Two words that ruined the peaceful prosperity of the Ice Kingdom and Snowdrift's village, Australis.

The darned plague that had whipped through the Ice Kingdom like a snowstorm on stone-fish venom. The IceWing plague had withered half of the population of Australis, and on top of that, her father Duke Greenland had forbade her any contact with her dragons. So, yeah, Snowdrift may be irresponsible and can wreck havoc once in a while- or perhaps every week- but she still loves her dragons.

It's not fair to lock her up, even when a deadly disease has been plaguing the kingdom, when her dragons are dying. No that is not right.

But, it was a harsh time. Famine had descended upon Australis just as the plague was thinning... then the queen died.

The death of Queen Glacier hit everyone. All hope was lost, until her daughter- and close friend of Snowdrift's- Snowfall rose to claim the throne.

Life and harmony in the Ice Kingdom was soon resound and all was well, but the Pantalans arrived.

Hordes came in, stealing food and invading villages, forcing civilians to scatter into the wind.

Her father sent her away after an explosive argument over their people's well-beings and, of course, Snowdrift's aloof and reckless behavior. Snowdrift had thought he'd try to send her to yet another boarding school for... mentally challenged IceWings. But Snowdrift was not mentally challanged, and Greenland knew this. Instead he sent her to the one place she hates more than her own home, the IceWIng palace.

Snowdrift was devasted when her had to leave. She was even more heartbroken when she learned Australis was deserted. Snowdrift's mother, Duchess Frostelle, had died. But to her enjoyment, Greenland vanished; gone without a trace.

Snowdrift was alone. The heir to Australis; the only noble left for her village. Orphaned. Deserted. Forgotten.

But she was not broken.

No, she would come back.

This is her story, and we begin now.