S I X

When Mippy told Lucius Malfoy about how Astra and Pansy had met he was furious. How could this have happened? It was so simple, really. But never had he thought anyone would talk to the child during her shopping. It was just so frustrating.

He had done everything to ensure that nothing would go wrong. He had bribed countless people from ministries around the world to shut them up. He had cleared out the old wing for the child. He had given her a personal house elf to consult, so she wouldn't be in too much contact with Draco. And the worst of all, he had kept Draco in line.

His son and heir had to cut off contact to his friends and stay on the grounds of Malfoy Manor, even though he was never to blame. Draco didn't do anything wrong. Lucius would have to make it up to him eventually, he just didn't know how yet.

Before Lucius could worry about that, he had other responsibilities to take care of. There was one last step to ensure everything would work out. For that step he would have to go to the ministry. Before, he worried about how he would smuggle Astra in there without his colleagues asking uncomfortable questions, now he figured it was too late. So it be.

Still the trip to the ministry turned out to be an uncomfortable one. In retrospect it may had been not the smartest Idea to combine business with the day of Potter-Boys trail, but desperate situations required desperate measures and the day of the hearing was the soonest audience with the Minister possible.

As much as Lucius Malfoy hated to have his daughter under his roof again, he couldn't leave her in the clutch of the military. Not only was she a necessity to ensure that the dark lord would forgive him for not publicly stating his loyalty after his fall, but keeping her away from his home would be an insult to the dark lord. Even if both Lucius and his wife's blood was flowing through her veins, she was never theirs, never part of their family. She was the product of devotion to the cause, a gift. She was much more the daughter of the dark lord than a Malfoy.

To make their first unofficial appearance the best it could be, the house elf's were instructed to dress both the head of the Malfoy house and Astra in corresponding outfits. Both of which were very expensive. Probably the most expensive clothing she wore since she was given to be guarded by the ministry. Clothing fit for a respectable member of the sacred 28. Clothing a good, sweet, innocent pure blood girl would wear.

Lucius could still feel the big confused eyes of his son on his back when he arrived at the ministry, one hand around his wand and the other around the upper arm of his daughter. Touch was necessary to Apparate with another person you, but as soon as Lucius was standing in the headquarters, he let go of Astra as if she was a hot stove.

She hadn't talked to him once that day. Always watching him, though. Always following his every movement with unnerving accuracy, eyes darting around the room with inhumanly speed. He would have to teach her to let that be, otherwise she was bound to embarrass the Malfoy name during social events or worse, drive away important company.

Shortly after they arrived at the ministry, Cornelius Fudge came in a hurried paste. He looked furious, almost fuming. Immediately he greeted Lucius, a poor try to conceal his feelings on his face. Truly, one could not call that a welcoming expression by any means.

"I see you seemed to have a stressful day, Minister. Are there any news about the price crash in cauldron business or other matters that might be seen worthy to mention?" Lucius answered Fudges greeting, making sure there was a cool edge to his tone. An edge that would ensure that everyone who was supposed to understand understood what other business he meant exactly.

"Ah well, yes. I just came from a trail, you see. We had to release Harry Potter of all his crimes." The Minister spoke in a nervous and quiet voice. With pleasure and a slight smirk playing on his lips Lucius looked at him. No matter the positions, everyone knew who was the real person in power. No one dared questioning a Malfoy. "The voting was really close, just a few votes and the boy would have not gotten away unscathed. I mean dementors in a little Muggel town!? Ridiculous! He had the nerve to insinuate that we had no control over them, but that would just be ridiculous, wouldn't it?" With nervous laughter the Minister rambled on until he suddenly stopped.