Chapter 7: Don't Play With Fire

And so, here I go into the cavern of a fire-breathing lizard thing. I would've much rather gone back out and left it alone, but I had made a promise, and as such, I can't go back on my word. But little did I know, that the outcome of this fight would turn everything upside down, not just for me, but for my fairy and everyone else that I had met on my quest so far.

After getting into Dodongo's Cavern by getting the Goron Bracelet in order to use bomb flowers, then blowing up the boulder, followed by the door inside they came to large room with a large Dodongo skull on the far wall, several beamos, and a central platform with other platforms rising up and down around it.

"I'm glad that thing is dead," Linkette said getting an agreement from Navi.

"Yeah, but there is still the monster that I can sense an aura of evil from, behind and below?"

"Well let's find a way there then," Linkette said.

Behind a wall they found the dungeon map, before heading across the room to the next area.

"Whoa!" Linkette said as baby Dodongo's jumped out of the ground at her.

"What was that?" Linkette asked. Before having to duck behind the metal shields it exploded, only..."My Hat!"

"It was just a hat, Link," Navi said as Linkette looked at where she had been too slow to cover, and her hat had been destroyed. "You're a big boy, get over it."

Linkette just glared at Navi before continuing on through the door at the end of the hall after moving a statue onto a switch.

Afterwards they found two lizard monsters called Lizalfos on platforms surrounded by lava that they had to kill to continue on to a room where they had to light torches to continue while avoiding the older fire breathing, deathploding Dodongo's, just to get to a switch that opened the way on the other side of the original room. Worse, while crossing, she accidentally mistimed a jump and landed in the lava around the central platform. Luckily it was shallow enough to walk in, though painful, unfortunately when she got off her feet were slightly red, while her boots, her nice comfy boots, had been destroyed by the lava, leaving her barefoot.

In the new area, they had to explode a bunch of bomb flowers to lower the staircase to the floor above, Linkette having her hair pulled by Navi to hide from the explosion in the nearby room behind a bombable wall where they had to destroy a living statue to get the compass, before making it back up the stairs, where she had to destroy to fire keese, and move a statue to get to a switch. This led to a wooden bridge that was rougher then the stone on her bare feet leading to the other side of the upper level of the main room.

"Wait!" Navi said, before they went through the other side. "The aura of evil is strong again the way you came, just like after you found the slingshot."

With a sigh, Linkette went backwards and through it finding herself in a single room next to two Lizalfos trying to pick up a large chest.

"Come on!" the one on the left said, "we need to hide this before that hero can use what's inside to kill the master."

"Thanks for the tip," Linkette said while stabbing it while the one on the right yelped in suprise as the heavy chest dropped down on its tail, leaving it easy pickings for Linkette to destroy.

She then opened the chest, ignoring with a grimace the puddle of Lizalfos blood she was stepping in, and finding a bag.

"Oh!" Navi said. "That's a bomb bag, it carries bombs. No more bomb flowers for us."

"That's great!" Linkette said as they left the room and ended up by another bridge. This one above the skull and in front of a slate that Navi translated to say they had to drop bombs in the skulls eyes to open the way.

After doing so they ended up in a room with a hole in the ground and a stone block that fit on a higher room entrance. Luckily, Linkette had some training in getting higher then normal since it helps climb trees that others can't when she couldn't stand being mistaken for a boy, anymore, and wanted to be alone. Using it to get to the block, and move it in place revealed a dead end room, that as she was walking in the center, the floor collapsed sending her deeper to a room filled with lava, and only a small path around the edge.

"What in the name of Din is that?" Linkette yelped, seeing a living version of the dodongo Skull right behind them.

"Infernal Dinosaur King Dodongo," Navi whimpered, before diving behind a rock when King Dodongo opened his mouth and breathed in.

Unfortunately for Linkette, she was just light enough to be sucked in as well, and though she managed to grab onto a tooth, she was still blasted back out by the giant ball of fire.

"Ahh!" she called as she hit the wall her entire body red, as the rest of her clothes and gear were destroyed by the fire, while her sword and shield, so close to the source of the fire, couldn't handle it, and melted into liquid puddles of metal. The only thing that remained was the Goron Bracelet, which was specifically designed to be fireproof(unlike the bomb bag which was blast proof, but could still burn from the outside in, and the magically protected Kokori Emerald.

"Link!" Navi yelled flying up to her and stopping in shock, before she fainted, unfortunately for her she had cut across the lava and fell into it.

"Navi!" Linkette yelled as she plunged her hand in the lava and grabbed Navi. Ignoring the pain, which some red potion would fix later, as she looked at the waking Navi, who while still alive the heat had permanently turned her Aura a bright cherry red.

"You're a girl?" Navi said in shock.

"Yeah," Linkette rolled her eyes. "I just prefer male clothes so I don't flash people my undergarments. My name is Linkette not Link, but everyone ignores that."

"That would be because of the male clothes," Navi admitted, getting a confused look from Linkette. "Kokiri clothes are created by magic for a specific gender. As a side effect, wearing clothes for the wrong gender forces everyone to see you as that gender, unless they see you without them."

"So, what you're saying, is that by wearing boy clothes I forced everyone to see me as a boy. Except for the Skull Kids and Saria, who saw me naked due to a prank by the Skull Kids when we were playing in the sacred forest meadow." Linkette asked getting a nod.

"I see," Linkette replied, the anger in her voice apparent even as the Goron Bracelet glowed red as her rage temporarily enhanced its power to the same level as the legendary golden gauntlets. Before narrowing her eyes as King Dodongo tired of being ignored reminded them of his presence. "Hello, misplaced aggression."

With that Linkette launched forward destroying its jaw with a single punch, then running behind to grab its tail and swinging it into the walls and floor, only stopping when she swung so hard the tail was ripped off. Afterwards she approached the whimpering King Dodongo and kicked it between the legs so hard it went flying into the lava as its male bits were completely destroyed. As it sunk into the lava it welcomed death as a way to ease its pain.

"Come on," Linkette said, dragging the tail as proof of her victory as she left the cavern deciding to sneak into the forest through the portal to it in Goron City she had noticed earlier to get some new clothes from Saria when she was stopped by Darunia and the other Gorons dropping by to congratulate her, only to stop in shock as they saw her.

Darunia could only say one thing. "YOU'RE A GIRL?"