One More Light

ELORA

“What are you drawing?” 

I look up and do a double take.

Everything about the face is familiar, from the blond hair to the blue eyes to the jawline.

Familiar yet new. Slightly broader shoulders, a few inches shorter, and the beginning of a scruff.

I’ve never seen him before but Cole’s brother looks so much like him that it’s impossible to not recognize him.

In fact, they look more like each other than Abi looked like me and we were twins.

Liam crosses his arms over his black leather jacket, and clears his throat.

“Sorry,” I mumble and flip the sketchbook so he can see the drawing.

It’s a sketch of Woodside, the first time I ever saw it. A house tucked away deep inside the woods, that smelled like grass and earth and fire, shadowed by stars and smoke.

“Is this your home?” Liam asks curiously.

Home.

Home seemed like a foreign word, strange and surreal, a whole world away like it belonged to another life.

“No,” I say, “I just stayed here for a while.”

“I’ve had some of those myself.” He gestures at the book. “Mind if I take a look?”

I shrug and pass it to him.

The whistling wind carries the scent of wildflowers and moss and salt.

Up ahead, a squirrel was hopping on the brown bark of an Oak tree. Chattering loudly, until he caught a nut with his mouth.

“Wow,” Liam says.

He cocks his head at me. I know that I'm going to be the subject of another interrogation.

Here we go again.

“I have to ask.” He raises his eyebrows. “How is Cole okay with having you in on this whole thing?” He finishes rather awkwardly as if he's not sure what this whole thing is.

“You’ll be pleased to know that he’s already had a go at me. Excessive stalking. Gun to the head.” I tap my forehead. "Just lovely."

Liam grimaces. “Classic Cole.”

“So thoughtfully civil.” I flash him a smile.

“So this Frost dude… You worked for him?” Liam asks candidly, but not without caution.

I keep my face blank. “Yup.”

I must really sell the indifference because he doesn’t hesitate to prod further. “And? He didn’t tell you about this?”

“Frost was a private person,” I give a half-hearted shrug.

“Interesting,” Liam says, “And what about my question?”

“What question?” I ask.

“My brother, accepting your help so damn easily.” He waves his hand. “That’s not like him.”

None of this has been easy. Cole only told me the truth because I wouldn't help him otherwise. I know if it were up to Cole, I would’ve been in the dark.

I had him cornered but so did he have me cornered.

“That’s a question for Cole, Liam," I say in a tired voice.

Liam rubs his forehead. “I know. But I want to know what you think.”

“I’ve been working with Frost for-” I correct myself, “I mean, I worked with him for years. I know how he thought. Cole would be stupid to ignore me.”