The Prosthetic?

It's been a few weeks...I was let out of the hospital a few days after Lyney and Lynette's visit. However, my feelings towards myself haven't changed, I still hate my pathetic excuse for a hand. I can't even do basic things like hold utensils properly and even tinker with Pers anymore.

I didn't notice that I was just fiddling with my breakfast until I felt a hand on my head. I quickly turned my head to meet a concerned Lyney, "are you alright Fremi? You've been staring at your food for the past few minutes" he asked, worry flooding his eyes. I turned back to my breakfast, "I'm fine Lyney".

"Is it because of your hand?", he asked, a question I never expected. I sighed, Lyney has always read me like an open book, ever since I was younger. I hesitated before nodding a bit, not wanting to admit it and worry him even more.

Nobody spoke. Not me, not Lyney. The kitchen was deadly silent. I could feel a pair of eyes staring at me, 'just great, Lyney's worrying' I thought, guilt now taking over my thoughts. Slowly, I heard a chair moving outwards, and I was quickly wrapped in a giant hug. Still, none of us said a word.

"If it makes you feel better... I'll get Lynette to order you a prosthetic hand", he quietly whispered. I tensed up at the thought, not because I didn't want a prosthetic, but because of how much it'll cost. Again, it seemed like Lyney read my mind and he placed his hand on my cheek and forced me to look at him.

"Freminet, if getting a prosthetic will make you feel a little better, me and Lynette will spend whatever amount of money it takes", he said sternly. I stared at him, this is the first time he had said my proper name and spoke to me sternly. He must be serious about this.

Lyney slowly let out a gentle smile as he stroked my cheek with his thumb, like he did when I was a baby. I leaned into his hand, just the thought of Lyney and Lynette throwing away thousands just to make me happy, I didn't notice when I mumbled "I don't deserve you and Lynette". Which was met with a small chuckle from Lyney, "sure you do, come on. Eat up, we need to discuss the topic of a prosthetic with Lynette!".

I smiled a bit as I turned my attention back to my, now cold, breakfast. I slowly ate it as Lyney helped me to cut some of the biggest parts of my breakfast up into bite-sized chunks. After a few minutes, my plate was clear from any food, I carefully stood up and took my plate from the table to the sink.

Lyney was standing in the doorway, seemingly keeping an eye on me, just in case. I don't blame him, I would keep an eye on myself too. After I placed my plate in the sink, Lyney ran up and took my working hand with a smile, "come on! Let's tell Lynette now!", he excitedly said as I was dragged from the kitchen to the living area.

He sat me down next to a surprised Lynette, who tightened her grip on her teacup a little and he walked over and sat down on the other side of his sister. Lynette sighed and put down her teacup before turning to her twin "what do you want now?", she asked with a slight annoyance in her voice. Lyney looked over at me, and I gave him a nod of approval before he turned his attention back to Lynette, "so, have you noticed how down Fremi has been ever since we've told him about his hand?".

Lynette turned to me quickly and nodded. I felt my head fall, now I was looking at my fingers, they were moving quickly. Lyney continued, "I've brought up the idea of buying him a prosthetic hand, maybe it'll raise his spirits a bit", Lynette carefully listened to his endless reasonings. Suddenly, she put a finger to her brother's lips and looked back at me, "I've already considered the idea of buying a prosthetic, we've got the money already".

I looked up at her, I was full of hope. This was met with a small corner of Lynette's lips lifting a little, "soooooo?" asked Lyney. Lynette rolled her eyes and picked up her teacup from the floor, "if it makes Freminet happy, it's our duty to provide it" she said sternly.

"Then it's sorted, you'll be getting a new hand", Lyney excitedly said as he pulled me and Lynette into a huge hug. "Careful Lyney, or else I'll spill my tea" complained Lynette, but she didn't object to the hug. Instead she hugged her twin back and held my working hand.

'its sorted... I'll be getting a new hand' I thought, a smile slowly revealing itself as I closed my eyes and leaned my head against Lynette's back. 'I don't deserve them...'.