X.

When the news had come that some of the Avengers were fighting the Sokovia Accords, Nina had been shocked. Shocked and proud, in a confusing tangle of emotions. She had been there the day they had been proposed, long before any official meeting had occurred or anyone had even suggested to sit the world's most powerful people around a table, but that was all she had known. No more. Weeks after the first announcement, she had heard about the progress of the Accords from Tony, his face tinged blue as a holograph of him was projected up from her phone, which was laid flat on her coffee table. 

"Well, I don't know if it's entirely wrong," Tony said, sighing. He looked tired, even from where she sat nestled on her couch. She could hear the whirring of machines behind him, and knew he was sat in his workshop at Stark Tower. In his hands, she saw a plate of deep blue metal flash across the projection as he laid it down on the work bench in front of him, out of her view. 

"The Accords will just...keep us in check, that's all."

"What do we need to be kept in check for?" she said, taking a hesitant sip from her cup of coffee. It didn't help to return any warmth to her. From where she sat, looking out at the blustering grey winds over the city, she felt as cold as ice. 

"Sokovia was a disaster," he said. The words seemed practiced, even for him- as if he had said them thousands of times. 

"Ya, Tony," she said, raising her eyebrows at him. "I know."

She watched his blue-tinged eyes flicker to her chest, and the soft glow emanating from under her knit sweater. He looked at her a second longer, taking in the thick, chunky knit of the yarn and the deep blue colour. A hundred thoughts seemed to pass over his eyes, but he said nothing. 

"I just don't think the Accords take into consideration what could come to pass. If we're under strict orders to act only when the government deems it fit, who's to say they won't make a mistake? Or who's to say they won't wait until it's too late?"

HYDRA had once held a vast portion of the government- a vast portion of the now extinct SHIELD. She had little faith in the governments ability to act for the greater good. 

"No, I know Nina," he said, sighing once again. "I just-"

She hated the sound of Tony Stark at a loss for words.

"I just don't think we should be the only once calling the shots, either."

"And handing over our freedom is the way to ease your guilt?"

She knew she had gone too far before the words were even fully out of her mouth. He stared at her for a moment, but she refused to take them back. 

"I spent my entire life being controlled, Tony. I'm not sure I can do it again."

The silence on his end of the line was only cut by the metal clanging of machines. 

"Sokovia was a disaster," he said again. She wondered who he was trying to convince. "The United Nations will ratify our work and allow us more freedom to-"

"I think we have different definitions of freedom, Tony. The Avengers is more than a private organization, it's a group of people who might be the only ones capable of standing against a future attack! What if someone like Loki comes again? What if whoever comes next doesn't give us a warning?"

Her cheeks were warm now, and she knew they were reddening as she spoke. Once, she would have fought against it- used her training to calm herself and hide all semblance of emotion. Now, though, it seemed to pour out of her like a broken dam. 

"Nina-"

"Unless Ross comes up with an alternate solution, I'm not sure if I can sign these Accords, Tony."