1

Ever since I could remember once school ended I would always count the days until summer would be over because I knew that my friends would be leaving for Cousins and forget about me until the next time I saw them in school

Ever since I could remember once school ended I would always count the days until summer would be over because I knew that my friends would be leaving for Cousins and forget about me until the next time I saw them in school. I had only heard about Cousins through the stories that Conrad and Jeremiah would tell me regarding the adventures and all the fun they would have with Belly and Steven. However, those stories wouldn't be heard by me until the first day of school when they would see me walking out of my front door and leaving for school. When hearing about the fun and the adventures they had I always wished that I would take part in their adventures in the magical Cousins instead of staying back home all alone.

"Earth to Em," Jere said peeking over the fence that divided our homes. 

With my name being called I looked up from my book and noticed Jere hopping over the fence. 

"Hey Jere, what's up aren't you supposed to be packing to go to Cousins," I said while placing a bookmark.

Instead of responding he just nodded his head and plopped himself beside me on the ground where I was laying. 

"Then why aren't you? Because I know you're supposed to study for finals with your tutor too." I said looking at the boy beside me. 

"Well I got bored and for finals I still have time. Besides, Conrad is gonna help me with math." Jere said as he picked up my book. 

" I question you sometimes but okay. At least you will be at Cousins in a couple of weeks." I said in a somewhat sad voice to Jere. 

I never told them how I felt whenever they would leave to cousins since they never seemed to notice. The only person who seemed to notice was their mom Susannah who was basically a second mother to me. She would always tell me that they never forgot about me while they were gone but I could never truly believe her. 

"Well speaking about that." Jere began "Since you know Connie and you are going to graduate this year." 

"Yeah and what about it," I questioned.

Before he could respond we heard a voice calling out for Jere. At that moment the boy got up and ran inside my home making it seem like he was never there. 

"Susannah he is at my house," I yelled back to the person over the fence. 

"Thank you, sweetie. I really thought he was home but then Conrad told me he heard the back door open." Susannah said as she entered my backyard through the connecting door. 

"It's no problem he was just keeping me company," I said as I hugged her. 

"Oh, Ember. Thank you for the help" She said.