Prologue

The small and fluffy she-cat descended the stairs of her housefolks’ den. The soft carpet warmed her lighter paws as she reached the first floor. The golden bell on her green collar jingled with her movement. "Primrose? Is that you, dear? Would you like some food?" her twoleg, Lilly, cooed.

     Primrose shook her light cream-colored fur before walking over to the "kitchen," where her pink food bowl sat, filled to the brim with cat food. She ate almost all of it, leaving less than a pawful.

     After eating, Primrose stretched and licked her jaws, ready to head off to the kitty door. She was always curious about the magic that made it lead both indoors and outdoors.

     The outside was different from her indoor life - the sounds, the sights, the smells, the feeling - everything about it was different. But it was a good difference that let her escape her home life and breathe. Primrose didn't understand her longing feeling, but she loved it.

     Her paws touched the hard cement of the driveway, which was warm from the sunhigh weather. Birds chirped around her, in the trees and on the wooden fence. Primrose's darker cream wispy-striped tail brushed against the soft green grass.

     Primrose led her way through the grass, colorful butterflies fluttering around her, and dancing on the flowers. As she walked by the side of her twoleg nest, she came to the stone wall that separated the backyard from the forest beyond.

     Leaping up onto it, Primrose landed gracefully, sitting down to enjoy the calmness.