Chapter 6: Redemption

It was early the next morning. Marinette decided that she was done being the victim, that it was time to get her life back on track. Her parents advised her to take the day off too if she didn't feel up to doing anything, but they would support her nonetheless.

The first thing she heard when she got to the school were talks about Lila getting expelled. At first Marinette felt joy, knowing that it meant that she didn't have to put up with Lila today, and hopefully deal with her much later in her life. But it was suddenly replaced by fear once she entered the classroom. Everyone had their previous seats back, only that Nathaniel was now with Ivan in the same row. Why? Also all eyes were on her, wide-opened, as if they were expecting her to do something.

What did they want Marinette to do? Prove that she was okay, prove that she was still akumatize, prove that Lila's lies were actually the truth, prove that she was a monster, what exactly? Marinette's chest began tightening, it was getting harder to breathe.

Why did I come here? She thought, This was a mistake. I should've stayed home. She clutched her books closer to her chest like they were her last life line. She hurt them. So they were trying to hurt her back, weren't they. By tricking her into thinking they liked her again, only for them to stab her in the back once again?

Marinette's lip quivered, and she panicked when she realized she wouldn't be able to stop the tears from falling. Hoping she wouldn't trip on the way, Marinette lowered her eyes to the floor and quickly went up the steps to the back row, where she belonged.

Marinette could feel eyes on her as she sat down. It was as if they were burning holes into her very soul. She hated that all the attention was on her. It was mistake to come back today. Ms. Bustier cleared her throat, sending her Class Representative a sympathetic smile.

"Alright, class." she began, "Let's get situated and begin today's lessons."

Marinette mentally thanked her teacher for being so understanding. She didn't deserve to be here, even if the class was uncharacteristically silent today.

Were they sad? If they were, was it about Marinette's akumatization, or about Lila getting expelled? Probably Lila, most likely Lila. They probably hated her right now. This was too much.

Marinette barely felt Tikki gently pat her leg from within her purse. She looked down to see Tikki's face popping out, offering a comforting smile. Marinette returned the gesture, albeit with more sorrow, before Tikki closed the purse back up, disappearing before being spotted.

...

At lunch, Marinette didn't even bother sitting next to anyone. They probably didn't want her there. Besides, she didn't want all the attention again. So she opted for the empty courtyard instead.

Her parents made her lunch together today. They placed sticky notes on every single thing. They praised Marinette for being a "wonderful daughter" and "overall person". These little praises were enough to make Marinette actually smile. The back of her throat tightened with emotion and tears came to her eyes.

"Take those words to heart, Marinette." she heard Tikki say, "They're true."

"Thank you, Tikki." Marinette replied, "You think I made a mistake sitting by myself? After I promised to stand up for myself today?"

"Part of me does." Tikki replied.

She was being honest because that's something her Chosen loved. It hurt Marinette a little, but it was for the best. Marinette couldn't take liars anymore.