Captured

I sat on the rail of the platform I had been shooting arrows from just two days ago, staring, unseeing, at the mostly cleared carnage below. Several meters away was an opened backed cart where the foxes had piled the bodies of the goblins, then covered it over with several camping blankets. They would need to be returned home soon before the smell of decomposition attracted predators. And I really doubted that bears were the worst thing that would come looking for an easy snack.

"The last of the villagers have been sent off, Lady Enna." I heard Brax say as the older fox seemed to just appear at my hip. "I would like to say that I wished you had gone with them, but I feel that I would get an earful for suggesting it."

I smiled at the foxie fondly. Even evolved, he was still shorter than me with his bent back, but he still seemed taller than life, even at this most anxious of times. Since I had put my foot down with the goblins, he had been trying not to coddle me as much, and I appreciated it, but I could tell he had wanted me to evacuate with the others.

Just after Margund and his companions were out of sight I had told Brax that he should think about getting the non-combatants out of the village and have a plan set up, just incase the worst was to happen. And lets be honest, the worst was most likely what was going to happen here. If I had it my way, Brax would have left too, but just like he had no right to tell me to leave, I had no right to tell him either.

Brixie and Ozzie had gone in the last group. Brixie had NOT been happy about it, but one look at her son's tired and shattered face convinced her that it was for the best. I had not been the only person who had killed another person for the first time in the previous battle. Oren had gone with them as his injuries, though not life threatening, were bad enough that he would be a hinderance in the coming, anticipated fight.

I may have sent Margund off with pretty words and high hopes for the future, but we all knew that there was no other path here other than one of war. And the odds were not on our side. I had put all my chips on Margund, and I could only hope that I would not loose this bet.

"I fear he will not convince the goblin king. They say he is just this side of madness." Said Brax, he too, staring out into the cleared battle field. "But I think you know that."

"Yes." I said, sadly. "I knew that we were going to be attacked, no matter what. The Goregek has been in power too long, and has gotten too accustom to it. Nothing anyone does or says will convince him to change his ways or step down voluntarily."

"then why? Why make all those demands of Margund? If you knew he would not be able to convince his father." Sighed the older man. "I can not help but think that we would have at least been a little better off had we just killed them. Four less powerful warriors for the goblins to levy against us."

I smiled kindly at Brax, reaching out and patting him on the shoulder. "Your prodigious is blinding you Brax. My negotiations were never meant for the goblin king at all. I was never hoping to convince that fat old slob."

"Margund?" He asked and I saw that he was finally beginning to understand. but the brief flash of hope faded from his fox like eyes. "But I fear it does not change our current issue..."

"You are right. We will fight, no matter the out come."

The truth was that I did not wish to deal with the goblin king, but the crowned prince himself. It was the grey skinned, white haired, goblin prince that I was putting my faith in here. And the young goblin was awere of it too, I could see the understanding in his intense gaze as we spoke. The only way for both of our people's got out of this with hope for the future was if he and I could come to terms- and we needed to get rid of the king.